Pinned studs SBC double humps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Re: Pinned studs SBC double humps

Post by bigfoot584 »

Brian W wrote:I would install "undercover" screw in studs that don't have a hex on them. Pinning sucks,... what do you do @ the track when you break a pinned in stud??

Here is some MR. gasket studs... http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/1076/10002/-1

Or what I used to do was take an ARP stud and turn the hex off in a lathe. If you go this route you will have to countersink the rocker boss depth of the hex you turned off. This is a much better option but a bit more labor intensive.
Speedway Motors sales the same thing for much less save a few bucks.
s-stud.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
140Air
Guru
Guru

Post by 140Air »

lilsumo wrote:
pamotorman wrote:use allen head set screws and fill the screw holes with devcon. also they sell screw in studs with no hex on them. I have used them when a stud pulled out. check your auto parts. studs mostly pull out from floating the valves.
We tried those and got caught, thats why we are back to these press in. Wasted a set of double humps with those hidden screw in studs. Allen head set screw could be a different story thou.
How did you get caught? Visual inspection? Do they do any other checking like checking your valve spring force? They should know what strength of spring will pull the studs. It's not that strong because they started pulling studs on classic fuelie heads with aftermarket cams and springs from the late '50s, early '60s.
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

I see where Dorman sells a +.003 press in stud.
ra stud.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

This rule, I'm sure, is designed to keep spring pressures down… lower spring pressures = lower RPM's = less cam lift = less $$$ that needs to be spent keeping the thing together. The inspectors have a simpler job… just check for screw in studs… no lift rule to measure for… no checking for illegal rotating parts… pretty simple.

Would I, as a former race promoter use this rule? No really BUT I have tons of others that I've used in the past that have pissed off a lot of people. If half the racers like a rule and half hate it you've got it about right.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

bigfoot584 wrote:I see where Dorman sells a +.003 press in stud.
ra stud.jpg
if you try to press a .003 OS stud without first reaming the bore to the proper size in the head it ill crack the stud boss. been there done that.