General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Comp 845-16 Lifter Noise

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys
This is the 2nd time using these as they were customer supplied Now I am on set number 3 and they still sound like they are all loose after they are set.
Spoke to Comp directly and the possible adjustment methods have varied from from .040 preload to 1 1/2 turns down from 0 lash when hot. Now there is not a ton of spring pressure for the hyd. roller cam but it is 180 lbs closed 400@ .640.

Comp says they should be fine but reality says not so much. Has anyone else found them noisy?
This is a retro fit hyd. roller setup but I have used this cam with Isky roller lifters with out issue but the comps are just plain rude.
The last set of these has been issue free for several years now and not a tick. Have they changed suppliers/manufactures that anyone can determine.

These are the high energy lifters which seem similar to a stock type lifter but I am thinking about changing to the pro magnum because the supplier has them just to get this finished.

Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: Comp 845-16 Lifter Noise

Post by BirdMan »

Have you tried a heavier weight oil? A friend years ago had lifters that were delicate about oil weight and the amount of noise they made with different weight of oil.
Dale C.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I've had never-ending problems with Comp lifters this past few years, in one case the plungers were sticking in the bodies causing pushrods to pop out, the next set were a totally different design. Last week a retrofit roller in a 455 olds suddenly started clacking and adjustment made no difference, took it out and there was a 1.5" long piece of wire left over from manufacturing or assembly that was sticking out of the hole in the seat, obviously it was keeping the lifter from pumping up.

It's terrible because it's the one part of an engine that you have no control over, most of the roller lifters cannot be disassembled because of the rivet through the link bar, and these lifters are the source of easily 75% of problems that come up.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

needforspeed66gt wrote:I've had never-ending problems with Comp lifters this past few years, in one case the plungers were sticking in the bodies causing pushrods to pop out, the next set were a totally different design. Last week a retrofit roller in a 455 olds suddenly started clacking and adjustment made no difference, took it out and there was a 1.5" long piece of wire left over from manufacturing or assembly that was sticking out of the hole in the seat, obviously it was keeping the lifter from pumping up.

It's terrible because it's the one part of an engine that you have no control over, most of the roller lifters cannot be disassembled because of the rivet through the link bar, and these lifters are the source of easily 75% of problems that come up.

I have seen that as well and normally I will not even consider using them because of the defective rate that has been experienced the few times they were used and that others I see in the same boat.

Crane had a great lifter we used for year but no longer available and Isky has a great product as well but like most guys they only see price in this area of a build and cheap out every time.

I suggested he get the better quality lifters but cost and time got in the way of better judgment [-X
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

BirdMan wrote:Have you tried a heavier weight oil? A friend years ago had lifters that were delicate about oil weight and the amount of noise they made with different weight of oil.

Yes that was thought about and tried a lighter oil. It didn't help any.It made them bleed off worse/faster then the heavier oil
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

ProPower engines wrote:
needforspeed66gt wrote:I've had never-ending problems with Comp lifters this past few years, in one case the plungers were sticking in the bodies causing pushrods to pop out, the next set were a totally different design. Last week a retrofit roller in a 455 olds suddenly started clacking and adjustment made no difference, took it out and there was a 1.5" long piece of wire left over from manufacturing or assembly that was sticking out of the hole in the seat, obviously it was keeping the lifter from pumping up.

I have seen that as well and normally I will not even consider using them because of the defective rate that has been experienced the few times they were used and that others I see in the same boat.

Crane had a great lifter we used for year but no longer available and Isky has a great product as well but like most guys they only see price in this area of a build and cheap out every time.

I suggested he get the better quality lifters but cost and time got in the way of better judgment [-X
I assume you mean 854-16?
Just for info the Isky hyd roller is a Morel 4603 (4602 for SB),, damn good lifters but not the cheapest stuff out there
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Yes that's right. The 854-16 is the number.
I am going to put some Isky 3970-HYRT lifters in this time around. And yes while they are good piece's I agree they are not cheap but at least they are made to Isky's spec;s.

I have been told there is another Morel part number that is as good the Isky but not identical for patent reasons but would fit the bill. And not as expensive either but have not found out any further information regarding them.
There is no dealer up here that I can find for them to get accurate details from as well.

Thanks Mike for the tip on them lifters

Dave
FloydODB
Pro
Pro

Post by FloydODB »

fwiw i installed a set of johnson lifters in a retro-fit 489 stroker marine with the smalle marine HR from comp. worked well and the lifters came @ .842 diameter. made 430hp#5250 with most of the stock peaces and 750 quad. never heard the lifters. and they are much cheaper.
Daniel Brown
Accurate Engine Rebuilding
(269)930-1962
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

ProPower engines wrote:Yes that's right. The 854-16 is the number.
I am going to put some Isky 3970-HYRT lifters in this time around. And yes while they are good piece's I agree they are not cheap but at least they are made to Isky's spec;s.

I have been told there is another Morel part number that is as good the Isky but not identical for patent reasons but would fit the bill. And not as expensive either but have not found out any further information regarding them.
There is no dealer up here that I can find for them to get accurate details from as well.

Thanks Mike for the tip on them lifters

Dave
The other Morel is the street series which is quite a bit less but I prefer not to use them in a BB with anything that takes much spring
Isky does not sell them
You have a PM
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
ProPower engines