WARNING ABOUT ELITE LIFTERS!!!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

WARNING ABOUT ELITE LIFTERS!!!

Post by oldhead »

Yes its the old nitwit again.Its 3 am and I out with my 1000 hp street car on a expressway that has the one else in sight GOT MY NEW ELITES I run high gear out,near 7000 I see the oil pressure drop to 15#.....I drive home about ten miles with near 0 oil pressure.....Rip it out and take it apart....Push rod broke...pushrod came out of lifter with pushrod cup (Nothing holds cup in on Elites) causing a 3/8" leak to upper part of engine...oil press is 0 below 2500, 20# at 6000.......Lost bearing,cranked needed to be cut to .030 SO LOSE A PUSHROD-LOSE A ENGINE WITH ELITES.....OLDHEAD sick :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Quicker then most
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Re: WARNING ABOUT ELITE LIFTERS!!!

Post by oldhead »

BY THE WAY...Elites are the only Comp Cam lifters that the lifter cup is made without a "Self centering angle" that centers the rod in the cup, causing other problems Oldhead Still crying :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Quicker then most
Smell Ya Later

Post by Smell Ya Later »

You must be new at this game. Lots of setups loose pressure with lifter failure. You shoulda called a tow truck or a buddy. Your fault for smoking the motor.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

62 years in the game,Damage happened at 7000....Elites are made in a way that cause LARGE oil leaks...I have drive home from the track 25 miles with other style Comp lifters with pushrod out with no problem..Oldhead
Quicker then most
Smell Ya Later

Post by Smell Ya Later »

oldhead wrote:62 years in the game,Damage happened at 7000....Elites are made in a way that cause LARGE oil leaks...I have drive home from the track 25 miles with other style Comp lifters with pushrod out with no problem..Oldhead
Why did you drive it home with no oil pressure? My wife wouldnt even do that.
91stang
Pro
Pro

Post by 91stang »

I bet that 100$ tow bill sounds cheap now!
1991 mustang 3040 with driver all motor all the time 9.70 @ 138.75 1.31 60' street driven mufflers and real tires, mt 275/60/15 radials with a 950hp holley.
S10LS2

Post by S10LS2 »

oldhead wrote:Yes its the old nitwit again.Its 3 am and I out with my 1000 hp street car on a expressway that has the one else in sight GOT MY NEW ELITES I run high gear out,near 7000 I see the oil pressure drop to 15#.....I drive home about ten miles with near 0 oil pressure.....Rip it out and take it apart....Push rod broke...pushrod came out of lifter with pushrod cup (Nothing holds cup in on Elites) causing a 3/8" leak to upper part of engine...oil press is 0 below 2500, 20# at 6000.......Lost bearing,cranked needed to be cut to .030 SO LOSE A PUSHROD-LOSE A ENGINE WITH ELITES.....OLDHEAD sick :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Perhaps find a new engine builder. At most find a new driver, lol.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

why I run a rev kit
would it have helped in this case?
S10LS2

Post by S10LS2 »

Lost the bearing from no oil pressure and a 10 mile drive. yikes [-o<
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

oldhead wrote:Yes its the old nitwit again.Its 3 am and I out with my 1000 hp street car on a expressway that has the one else in sight GOT MY NEW ELITES I run high gear out,near 7000 I see the oil pressure drop to 15#.....I drive home about ten miles with near 0 oil pressure.....Rip it out and take it apart....Push rod broke...pushrod came out of lifter with pushrod cup (Nothing holds cup in on Elites) causing a 3/8" leak to upper part of engine...oil press is 0 below 2500, 20# at 6000.......Lost bearing,cranked needed to be cut to .030 SO LOSE A PUSHROD-LOSE A ENGINE WITH ELITES.....OLDHEAD sick :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
So between 3 am and 9:20 am you found all this out?
Nothing holds the cup in the lifter body?
The lifter next to the one ruined with the tie bar is OK?

I am trying to find a reason you would drive home but also why you think the cups are NOT snap ringed in the bore.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

( quote) " So between 3 am and 9:20 am you found all this out?
Nothing holds the cup in the lifter body?
The lifter next to the one ruined with the tie bar is OK?

I am trying to find a reason you would drive home but also why you think the cups are NOT snap ringed in the bore.[/quote]

SO ! what are you ? a detective or something ?

" The ol ' mule don't appreciate you laughing at him!....... now if you fella's just go ahead and apologize ,... I recon he might just forget all about you scarring him like that
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Did you have too much valve lash?
Joe Facciano
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

The lack of a snap ring caused the problem....Oldhead
Quicker then most
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

No the pushrod breaking caused this. Why did the pushrod break?
results speak for themselves
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

ClassicComp wrote:No the pushrod breaking caused this. Why did the pushrod break?
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^