Track teching: under cover porting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

340king
Expert
Expert

Re: Track teching: under cover porting

Post by 340king »

With some of the recent upgrades to some machine shop equipment available, the idea of visually being able to detect porting is pretty much gone. As has been pointed out, there are other ways to hide the change in volume also in the port, so CCing may not catch everyone that is bypassing the rules.

The more open the rules, the less costly you can build a competitive engine. The more restrictive the rules get, the more you have to spend to get a competitive advantage over the other guy. Been there and bought the t-shirt.

Specifying a hard to hook up tire is about the best way to reduce the desire or maybe better, the reward for bypassing the rules. Only then can you reduce the incentive to cheat.

Of course there will always be superior interpretations of the rules.
JWRE
Expert
Expert

Post by JWRE »

I can tell you from past and present (today actually) "undercover" porting experience that you'll have the flow curve you're looking for long before you get to the 165cc volume limit. Most heads average 161cc once they're completed and you'll have a huge gain in flow numbers. I've always thought that a tire rule was the best limiter for drag racing and circle track. They can buy the most expensive engine and suspension components, but they still have to tune all of it. And tuning, unless they're paying someone else of course, is the same price for every racer-FREE. Stock Eliminator is a class that comes to mind. The smartest and richest racers out there will never run the numbers of the veterans who have been constantly tuning for 20 or 30 years until they themselves have had hundreds of passes down the track.
CantedTexan

Post by CantedTexan »

You got it 340King,

The great equalizer.....

All is for naught concerning engine...... if you can't hook-it-up.

Regulating the tire to be hard....... enhances car counts, produces enforceable rules, and cost reductions for the competitors.

This hard tire will also put on a better show for John and Mary Lunchpale in the grandstands.

Quote: "One of my most impressive attributes is that .......a lot of people don't like me.......or the horse I rode in on"
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

Where can I get some of these heads? lol
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

don't know how many CCs the acid porting increases the volume but you can reduce that for tech inspection by milling down the intake port side and use a thick intake gasket. :D
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Oooh! Good one! =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

pamotorman wrote:don't know how many CCs the acid porting increases the volume but you can reduce that for tech inspection by milling down the intake port side and use a thick intake gasket. :D
I guess they'll catch on if it starts to look like an FE head/intake combo ? :lol:
340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

They have chemical tests available to determine if acid was used to port. So that method is going to fall by the wayside.