Guru

Re: Lunati Bootlegger cams

Post by JoePorting »

Didn't know Holley sold them off.
Joe Facciano
D.S.R.E.

Post by D.S.R.E. »

Im still racking my brain trying to figure out why we need a more aggressive hyd flat tappet lobe people already have trouble good breaking them in and not only that the noise and wear increased substantially
These are supposed to be more aggressive than comps lobes and the voodoo lobes
I can think of a couple different situations and engines that would use a cam similar to these but if you look at the mainstream most guys have good flowing heads, headers, compression so why a 12* split, its just like the ridiculous thumpr cams and the reason this bothers me is i deal with and have to educate people everyday on why i dont use all the "Gimic" parts seen in the magazines
Whomever said some magazine will use these and claim they are the latest and greatest is right i wouldnt be surprised if they are working on something right now !
Harold Brookshire is a Genius in cam design and I highly doubt he designed the specs for these cams, the lobes may be really good spec'd correctly
Build it Once Build it Right!
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

D.S.R.E. wrote: Harold Brookshire is a Genius in cam design and I highly doubt he designed the specs for these cams, the lobes may be really good spec'd correctly
I mis-spoke earlier. These are NOT Harold's lobes.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Better than a chevy grind
however comparing to Jones Asymetrical H440D64307
Lunati 208 454 lift
Jones 202 461 lift

does Lunati do any LCA you need if they have to grind to order?
and yes the much greater @200 does make a lot of difference
you can use 10 degrees less at .050 and still get more area if you optimist for Chrysler lifter
or
have a much bigger lobe at the same timing
four creeks

Post by four creeks »

wyrmrider wrote:Better than a chevy grind
however comparing to Jones Asymetrical H440D64307
Lunati 208 454 lift
Jones 202 461 lift

does Lunati do any LCA you need if they have to grind to order?
and yes the much greater @200 does make a lot of difference
you can use 10 degrees less at .050 and still get more area if you optimist for Chrysler lifter
or
have a much bigger lobe at the same timing
i called lunati a couple years ago, asked about a single pattern 256 voodoo lobes, on a 110 lc, they said no problem. Think it was $182 if I wanted one. Ended up going with 60100 shelf cam.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

DSRE correctly observes
"why we need a more aggressive hyd flat tappet lobe people already have trouble good breaking them in and not only that the noise and wear increased substantially"
if you use the larger .904 lifter you can have a more aggressive lift profile while not having as radical lobe.
If you are stuck with a chevy size lifter go for a higher ratio rocker and tone down the aggressive lobe
but then some want it all :))
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

wyrmrider wrote:DSRE correctly observes
"why we need a more aggressive hyd flat tappet lobe people already have trouble good breaking them in and not only that the noise and wear increased substantially"
if you use the larger .904 lifter you can have a more aggressive lift profile while not having as radical lobe.
If you are stuck with a chevy size lifter go for a higher ratio rocker and tone down the aggressive lobe
but then some want it all :))

That's just it though. 90% of the people they are targeting with the clever names and marketing would be lucky to install and break-in a stock cam properly. All you need to do is scan the forums and youtube and look at all of the people stabbing thumpers into stock 305s and 350s and wondering why they don't perform. .904 lifters aren't even a consideration for most of the cruise night guys, and most have the tune and overall combo so far off that they would probably be better off with mild "old tech" lobes and properly selected valve events, as opposed to aggressive lobe requiring careful break-in and delivering shorter cam life. Probably a good 50% of these people aren't even matching springs to the cam, setting up proper valvetrain geometry, etc.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

" most have the tune and overall combo so far off that they would probably be better off with mild "old tech" lobes and properly selected valve events, as opposed to aggressive lobe requiring careful break-in and delivering shorter cam life. Probably a good 50% of these people aren't even matching springs to the cam, setting up proper valvetrain geometry, etc."

which is why the big Detroit Grinders very conservative grinds are a good idea for lots of hot rodders
much fewer "warranty" problems and they are inexpensive unless you buy a big name like "Edelbrock"
good luck getting " properly selected valve events" from a tech line
takes lots of experience building similar combinations
not just going to the bottom line of the catalog
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

D.S.R.E. wrote:Im still racking my brain trying to figure out why we need a more aggressive hyd flat tappet lobe people already have trouble good breaking them in and not only that the noise and wear increased substantially
These are supposed to be more aggressive than comps lobes and the voodoo lobes
Looking the specs over... the only aggressive things are the advertising and the exhaust sound.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

4 creeks posted
.903 .872 lifter
208/213 @ .050 (chevy is 207/213)
126/130 @ .200 (chevy is 119/125)
112 lsa for both
.454/.454 lift (chevy is .437/.454)
I posted above
let's add Bullet

I've never found one to out spec Mike Jones Asymetrical H440D64307 at these durations for .904 lifter
.904 50 200 lift
Jones 202 ask 461
Bullet 206 120 432
Lunati 208 126 454
Bullet 212 126 444
Bullet 214 127 450

note the differences in ".050- lift "intensity"
note that with Bullet you have to add 10 degrees and get less lift
but note cams designed for a light valve train can be more intense than one designed for a heavy (BBC Chrysler)
also the milder intensity may rev more or have some other redeeming value
do get these accelerations in a SBC you need a HR and/or very high ratio rockers
68post

Post by 68post »

Harold did mention once that he "didn't give Lunati everything" . He did say that with enough interest he could produce some nice profiles for us "Olds" guys for the .921 lifters. Too bad that didn't come about !

These do seem to be directed at the Thumper cams.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Contrary to popular belief, I have had VERY GOOD results from the Thumper cams. although I usually use the roller grinds, but I have run several flat tappet thumper cams as well. They are much better than most people think. The extra exhaust duration does not hurt anything at all.. In fact, it makes it run better with street exhaust setups

JOE SHERMAN RACING
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That 'street exhaust' factor Joe mentions is important! The original Duntov 30-30 cam in a '69 Z-28 (MT only) made at least 20 HP more with open headers than the following year's milder cam (MT & Auto) but the latter was up 15 HP when exhaling through the full stock exhaust..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Open headers and street- different builds- thanks Mad Bill, Joe
I do not have much use for 107 LCA grinds installed at 102 ICL but I see places they would work
I agree agree about the duration with restricted exhaust/ through the mufflers- but easy to go too long there

Nothing new with these Lunati grinds
let's add some tried and true Engle .904 hyd lifter grinds- I've used lots of these
I've never found one to out spec Mike Jones Asymetrical H440D64307 at these durations for .904 lifter
.904 50 200 lift
Jones 202 ask 461
Bullet 206 120 432
Lunati 208 126 454
Engle 209 457
Bullet 212 126 444
Engle 213 470
Bullet 214 127 450
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Been there done that with the Harley grinds they sell. A "custom" is just one of their same voodoo lobes and juggled LC LSA and maybe timing cards reading .050" lift rather than .053 the typical motorcycle standard. Custom, BS. If you ask them about a "custom", a real one, that is they say sure but thousands of dollars for a lobe design. No thanks there are others in this game.