Lunati Bootlegger cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Lunati Bootlegger cams

Post by CamKing »

I don't know what "They" do. We CNC the master.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ssmmith

Post by ssmmith »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
ssmmith wrote:
900HP wrote:Every custom cam I've ordered from them is ground in-house on their Landis cnc and the quality has been excellent. No complaints. They may have catalog grinds that are farmed out, on that I have no idea. I could ask I guess.
Lunati has no in house ground cams
Obviously ... you have no idea at all about what is happening there.
I was probably the last one to run the Landis. It has not been used in over a year and is not even at Lunati any more, so I guess I have no idea what is happening there. Also sorry about not knowing about how to use the quote feature as I don't post much I mostly just read.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

The landis got sold to howards http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2010/02 ... mshaft-co/ If you want Harold's most recent lobe i do believe they are here http://www.howardscams.com/lobelist.pdf
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

What's the reason for slowing down the exhaust close on these Bootlegger profiles? Is it to reduce the risk of valve bounce / increase the RPM at which valve bounce starts to happen? -Is this one of the things that's driving the increased exhaust duration?

If so, how is that NOT a good idea?

Adam
Old Viking

Post by Old Viking »

scumbag?
Classy. He is dead and your personell opinion about him should stay just personell. Not written on a motor high perfomance forum.

On page one they wrote something about namecalling. Did u missed that? [-X

Brgds
Old Iron Still Rocks
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I will say this that I talked at length over the phone one evening I forget how long before Harold left us and he told me that he was three lobe generations in the future from what was presently out there at that time.

pdq67
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Thanks for chiming in Pdq
that howards link is broken try this one
http://howardscams.com/rt-4932-downloads.html
goldmember63

Post by goldmember63 »

I'd like a little background into this statement made by a poster, "But as a person the absolute scum of the earth." Please fee free to post some facts as this comes off more than a little rough. Thanks
Cutlassefi

Post by Cutlassefi »

I get the criticism for the name calling overall. Point taken.
But do a search and you'll find that he was CONVICTED of a despicable crime. That was just the first time he got caught. Do you think that was the first and only time he ever did it? I choose to believe not. And imo being dead doesn't change that.
There are other excellent minds out there when it comes to cams. If you want to acknowledge the deceased in a positive way then how about Harvey Crane? Sig Erson? What do you say we move on from Harold and give them and others some recognition.

Thank you.
Engine Builder, Accel, AEM, Comp, Erson, Holley, and Lunati Dealer
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Sig Erson??? where did he first get his masters? same place as Giovanni?
Winfield was the pioneer everyone else learned from
there are many others that did their own masters, many more that copied and there YMMV
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

wyrmrider wrote:Sig Erson??? where did he first get his masters? same place as Giovanni?
Winfield was the pioneer everyone else learned from
there are many others that did their own masters, many more that copied and there YMMV
Sig and his brother Leif ( babe) both worked for ISKY too. Sig called Ed a "hard headed Aremnian" but DID respect him. He was also good friends with Harvey and Harvey often came by Sig's shop. When I was there in the '70s Sig's really good stuff came from Cam Dynamics . After he sold it to Harry Eberlin ( Super Shops) I have no idea where stuff came from. His Viking cams were "white box specials" that came by the pallet load from Camshaft Machine. Pop open the end , hit them with a metal stamp , and off they went for a" Super Shops price " of $29.95.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

We could get those white box cams form Detroit cheaper than cores
limited on the lca's
Sig undoubtedly got a better deal than we did
then Harvey bought a big Detroit grinder and all the pricing changed
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

I think they were $22 and change ea. Not a money maker but it got the name out there. LOTS of flat lobes due to not changing valve springs.
goldmember63

Post by goldmember63 »

Cutlassefi wrote:I get the criticism for the name calling overall. Point taken.
But do a search and you'll find that he was CONVICTED of a despicable crime. That was just the first time he got caught. Do you think that was the first and only time he ever did it? I choose to believe not. And imo being dead doesn't change that.
There are other excellent minds out there when it comes to cams. If you want to acknowledge the deceased in a positive way then how about Harvey Crane? Sig Erson? What do you say we move on from Harold and give them and others some recognition.

Thank you.
I did a search,as you state that will enlighten me to a scumbag,but don't see anything. Can you please post or pm with any REAL or FACTUAL info that would require such a bashing of character as you have posted?? Don't be shy just let it be known what you have uncovered. Thanks for the follow up.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

goldmember63 wrote:
Cutlassefi wrote:I get the criticism for the name calling overall. Point taken.

Thank you.
I did a search,as you state that will enlighten me to a scumbag,but don't see anything. Can you please post or pm with any REAL or FACTUAL info that would require such a bashing of character as you have posted?? Don't be shy just let it be known what you have uncovered. Thanks for the follow up.
Why, are you just trying to dig up dirt and drama or what?
I don't feel this is the place for this type of BS!