Lunati Bootlegger cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racer X

Lunati Bootlegger cams

Post by Racer X »

Anybody heard about these yet? Sound like they are Lunati's attempt to capitalize on the latest moonshine craze! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9cg71IylM
"All those other guys where cheatin' ten times worse than us, so it was just self defense".... Smokey Yunick
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Lunati Bootlegger cams

Post by wyrmrider »

From another company with "ground in Detroit" cams leading their catalogue
what name is on the "white box"
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

What you see there is the marketing power of the comp cams empire hard at work. Im not sure on the lobes but ill bet all they did was take the voodoo lobes and juggle a few lobes + tighten the LSA and voila!!!! Bootlegger cams. Its a cool name i suppose but its just marketing like the Comp Thumpr.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

CREngines wrote:What you see there is the marketing power of the comp cams empire hard at work. Im not sure on the lobes but ill bet all they did was take the voodoo lobes and juggle a few lobes + tighten the LSA and voila!!!! Bootlegger cams. Its a cool name i suppose but its just marketing like the Comp Thumpr.

I know for a fact that Harold Brookshire was working on designing some new lobes for them last year some time. These were new updated versions of the Voodoo lobes. I don't know if the "Bootlegger" lobes are what he was actually working on though.

Just so you know, Comp Cams does not own Lunati. Some of the same people that own Comp also now own Lunati, still two separate companies.
Last edited by 900HP on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

wyrmrider wrote:From another company with "ground in Detroit" cams leading their catalogue
what name is on the "white box"
Every custom cam I've ordered from them is ground in-house on their Landis cnc and the quality has been excellent. No complaints. They may have catalog grinds that are farmed out, on that I have no idea. I could ask I guess.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
D.S.R.E.

Post by D.S.R.E. »

These look to be Lunatis answer to Comps Thumpr line
Huge amount of duration split, relatively low lift, tight LSA not what I would recommend for about 98% of what I build imo
Build it Once Build it Right!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Maybe if the put the moonshine jug down for a while, they could design something good, and not this krap.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

"They may have catalog grinds that are farmed out, on that I have no idea. I could ask I guess."
Don't have to ask- just look at the catalog
good news is that they are less expensive than Edelbrock for the same 40 year old grinds
but more expensive than Summit, Jegs, Wolverine, Melling, Elgin, Speed Pro, etc- shop around
still lots of additional exhaust duration, which is not as necessary with today's better exhaust ports- but sometimes is
I have not looked but do Ford and Chrysler still use the small lifter Chevy grinds?
That sucks
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

900HP wrote:
CREngines wrote:What you see there is the marketing power of the comp cams empire hard at work. Im not sure on the lobes but ill bet all they did was take the voodoo lobes and juggle a few lobes + tighten the LSA and voila!!!! Bootlegger cams. Its a cool name i suppose but its just marketing like the Comp Thumpr.

I know for a fact that Harold Brookshire was working on designing some new lobes for them last year some time. These were new updated versions of the Voodoo lobes. I don't know if the "Bootlegger" lobes are what he was actually working on though.

Just so you know, Comp Cams does not own Lunati. Some of the same people that own Comp also now own Lunati, still two separate companies.

I just looked up the cams, those aren't Harold's designs. I have no idea what that stuff is............ They must have made a "bootleg" copy of something else :lol:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'm waiting for the Chi-Com copy 'Bootlicker' grinds…. :^o
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
four creeks

Post by four creeks »

wyrmrider wrote: I have not looked but do Ford and Chrysler still use the small lifter Chevy grinds?
I have the smallest Chevy voodoo cam here (60100), and I just bought the smallest Chrysler voodoo cam 60400 for my 87 360. The Chrysler cam has voodoo .904 lobes. Catalog has adv duration wrong for those, lists adv duration same as Chevy, but the cam you get does have Chrysler lobes.
Cam is Lunati 10200700 (60400 old number), says V253H12 under the part number on end of box.
here's the voodoo Chrysler 60400 vs Chevy 60100 numbers-
253/258 adv (chevy is 250/256)
208/213 @ .050 (chevy is 207/213)
126/130 @ .200 (chevy is 119/125)
112 lsa for both
.454/.454 lift (chevy is .437/.454)

The .200 duration is 7 degrees better on the intake, 5 degrees better on exhaust.

putting this 360 in my 87 Dodge van. Have headers, quadrajet, dual exh, 3 speed plus overdrive stick shift (833 OD trans), .323 rear. Will let you know how it runs.
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

900HP wrote:

You can spin that however you want. They are not officially under the comp umbrella but that doesn't mean that they are as separate as you believe.

If Harold did some new lobes for these cams then thats good. I hope he did, that means you are getting something more then moonshine in the box. :lol:
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

So ... what's the difference in PRICE, QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, between say an off the shelf ( but careful selection ) and a custom designed and ground cam
In the SAME engine on the SAME dyno ....

would average joe numb nuts tell the difference ?
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

CREngines wrote:
900HP wrote:

You can spin that however you want. They are not officially under the comp umbrella but that doesn't mean that they are as separate as you believe.

If Harold did some new lobes for these cams then thats good. I hope he did, that means you are getting something more then moonshine in the box. :lol:
I looked. Harold didn't do those. I only know that the last time I made a comment to Steve at Lunati about being "owned" by Comp I got the entire history of what happened and blah blah blah. Technically they are not owned by Comp but I think you are correct in that there is more "shared" than they want to admit too.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

How many months until we see magazine engine build articles proclaiming these to be the best cams ever? It seems to happen EVERY single time Comp or Lunati launch a new product. :roll: Next step is that the typical forums car forum heros will latch on to these, and just like "Xtreme" cams, "Voodoo" cams, "Thumper" cams, these will become the only option discussed for any new engine builds. #-o