Re: Lunati Bootlegger cams

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Anyone see a problem running their middle intake lobe with the smaller exhaust lobe in a 10.5:1 SBC 350? It would end up being 277/296 adv., 232/236 @ .050 and .533/.517 lift, 108 +4.

We're running Pro Topline 200 cc heads and a good exhaust. 6,500 max rpm. Gears and tire size is right. Mostly drive-in cruising and car shows. I just don't believe in all that much exhaust split on the street.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

" I just don't believe in all that much exhaust split on the street."
depends on intake/exhaust flow balance and exhaust- headers
So who designed the lobes if Harold Berkshire did not?
and if he did not why bother?
especially if you are thinking a custom cam
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I was thinking the same thing Rev. A lot of guys like to poo-poo anything new but it seems like Lunati engineers have tweaked the aging Voodoo profiles somewhat and have a new lobe. You might call them and ask if you can actually hear the valves closing like you can on Comp's XFI lobes. I'd probably shy away if they say yes, lol.

Then just pray the damn thing survives break-in [-o<

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
ssmmith

Post by ssmmith »

Every custom cam I've ordered from them is ground in-house on their Landis cnc and the quality has been excellent. No complaints. They may have catalog grinds that are farmed out, on that I have no idea. I could ask I guess.

Lunati has no in house ground cams
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Umm... You say every custom cam is ground in-house by Lunati, then you say they grind no cams in-house.

One or more of us is confused... #-o
Ah, Walter and dirt's posts clears it up! I didn't look far enough back to see that the first sentence was not by ssmmith. Being a newbie, he wasn't familiar with the 'quote' fuction
Last edited by MadBill on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

MadBill wrote:Umm... You say every custom cam is ground in-house by Lunati, then you say they grind no cams in-house.

One or more of us is confused... #-o
I believe the top portion of that post is supposed to be a quote from 900hp.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Cadilac and Chevrolet are both under the General Motors umbrella but, are completely different entities who PURCHASE shared parts from one another when needed.

I imagine it is somewhat the same between Comp and Lunati so, almost all of their inventories are completely separate and come from different vendors.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

ssmmith wrote:
900HP wrote:Every custom cam I've ordered from them is ground in-house on their Landis cnc and the quality has been excellent. No complaints. They may have catalog grinds that are farmed out, on that I have no idea. I could ask I guess.
Lunati has no in house ground cams
Obviously ... you have no idea at all about what is happening there.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

HDBD wrote:Been there done that with the Harley grinds they sell. A "custom" is just one of their same voodoo lobes and juggled LC LSA and maybe timing cards reading .050" lift rather than .053 the typical motorcycle standard. Custom, BS. If you ask them about a "custom", a real one, that is they say sure but thousands of dollars for a lobe design. No thanks there are others in this game.
Custom GRINDS and custom DESIGNS are two completely different things.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
HDBD wrote:Been there done that with the Harley grinds they sell. A "custom" is just one of their same voodoo lobes and juggled LC LSA and maybe timing cards reading .050" lift rather than .053 the typical motorcycle standard. Custom, BS. If you ask them about a "custom", a real one, that is they say sure but thousands of dollars for a lobe design. No thanks there are others in this game.
I have had both custom grinds and custom designs that were ground at Lunati on their Landis. Almost all of my cams for the last 15 years have been Harold Brookshire lobes. I have bought cams from Ultradyne, Bullet, Custom Cam Co. and Lunati all with his lobe designs. Harold has done custom lobes for me, most recently for our 2013 EMC Pontiac of which I had 2 versions ground by Lunati. The man at Lunati who runs the shop and runs the Landis is the same guy who ground cams for Harold when he owned Ultradyne. I believe that Steve at Lunati also worked for Harold back in the day.

For our 2014 EMC effort, Harold was unable to do the custom lobe designs anymore due to failing health. Now I am aware that Harold has suffered another stroke. I sincerely hope that he comes through because that man has done more for cam design than any other person I know of other than possibly Harvey Crane.

** EDIT ** I know for a FACT that Lunati still does in-house grinding on their cnc as Harold has told me some of his asymmetrical lobes can not be done on a regular Berco or other grinder because of grinding wheel diameter and complexity. I have also personally spoken with the man who actually runs the Landis, I just can't for the life of me remember his name right now. I would order the cams from Harold and he would ship the file to Lunati for them to grind. You can't load a program into a Berco, that's for sure.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

900HP wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
I have had both custom grinds and custom designs that were ground at Lunati on their Landis. Almost all of my cams for the last 15 years have been Harold Brookshire lobes. I have bought cams from Ultradyne, Bullet, Custom Cam Co. and Lunati all with his lobe designs. Harold has done custom lobes for me, most recently for our 2013 EMC Pontiac of which I had 2 versions ground by Lunati. The man at Lunati who runs the shop and runs the Landis is the same guy who ground cams for Harold when he owned Ultradyne. I believe that Steve at Lunati also worked for Harold back in the day.

For our 2014 EMC effort, Harold was unable to do the custom lobe designs anymore due to failing health. Now I am aware that Harold has suffered another stroke. I sincerely hope that he comes through because that man has done more for cam design than any other person I know of other than possibly Harvey Crane.

** EDIT ** I know for a FACT that Lunati still does in-house grinding on their cnc as Harold has told me some of his asymmetrical lobes can not be done on a regular Berco or other grinder because of grinding wheel diameter and complexity. I have also personally spoken with the man who actually runs the Landis, I just can't for the life of me remember his name right now. I would order the cams from Harold and he would ship the file to Lunati for them to grind. You can't load a program into a Berco, that's for sure.
I met Harold when he was at General Kinetics Cams in the early 70's and we shared several "brainstorming sessions" with Don Teweles who owned that company. It was the first time I was shown that the opening side of one lobe design could be coupled with a totally different closing side of another lobe design and a third, "better for power" design came of it.; things have really, REALLY advanced since those times; especially remembering we had almost NO quality valve springs to choose from back then.

Weird that Lunati still has most General Kinetics lobe designs in their archives.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

not surprising- they were good lobes
we ran them or Engle in the AMC
springs have made them all obsolescent now
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

900HP wrote: Harold has told me some of his asymmetrical lobes can not be done on a regular Berco or other grinder because of grinding wheel diameter and complexity.
You have that backwards. Some asymmetrical cams with tight inverses can't be ground on the Landis, becuase the wheel diameter is too big, and they have to be ground on a Berco with a 5" diameter grinding wheel.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

CamKing wrote:
900HP wrote: Harold has told me some of his asymmetrical lobes can not be done on a regular Berco or other grinder because of grinding wheel diameter and complexity.
You have that backwards. Some asymmetrical cams with tight inverses can't be ground on the Landis, becuase the wheel diameter is too big, and they have to be ground on a Berco with a 5" diameter grinding wheel.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^ (thanks, Mike) :oops:

Mike, do they make the master lobe for the Berco with the Landis then or is the master CNC'd ?
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602