Conecting Rod 6.535 to 6.700 Any Power Here

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

41apache
Conecting Rod 6.535 to 6.700 Any Power Here

Post by 41apache »

Is it worth any power to change from 6.535 to 6.700 rod? Its a 10.2 BBC with big chief heads about 1050+HP Top RPM 6800 4.5" stroke. Thanks for input
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: Conecting Rod 6.535 to 6.700 Any Power Here

Post by bigjoe1 »

LIGHTER pistons

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

41apache wrote:Is it worth any power to change from 6.535 to 6.700 rod? Its a 10.2 BBC with big chief heads about 1050+HP Top RPM 6800 4.5" stroke. Thanks for input
Why, I don't know but, from personal experience the maximum horsepower will remain about the same ... the torque peak and horsepower peak will get closer together in the RPM range and torque BELOW peak torque RPM will usually get less.
SOooo, it all depends upon what you are trying to achieve.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

I would think that the increased time the piston spends at TDC and BDC, as well as the increased acceleration and speed, would require a cam change, and that assumes the cylinder head has enough flow to support it. If you're looking to optimize the engine with the rod length change.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Alan Roehrich wrote:I would think that the increased time the piston spends at TDC and BDC, as well as the increased acceleration and speed, would require a cam change, and that assumes the cylinder head has enough flow to support it. If you're looking to optimize the engine with the rod length change.
With a longer rod, the piston will spend slightly LESS time around Bottom Dead Center.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

To answer your question: Yes.

Worth discussing? No, it's that slight.

Mechanical reliability: Yes, an increase.

Dynamic pumping losses? Reduced.

A better built mouse trap: Yes, most definitely.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Alan Roehrich wrote:I would think that the increased time the piston spends at TDC and BDC, as well as the increased acceleration and speed, would require a cam change, and that assumes the cylinder head has enough flow to support it. If you're looking to optimize the engine with the rod length change.
With a longer rod, the piston will spend slightly LESS time around Bottom Dead Center.
I know the sole purpose of the connecting rod is to connect the piston to the crank. But, this slowing down piston speed at the bottom of the stroke seems to be the only thing that could approach an increase in power. At the bottom of the stroke, the intake air column has its most inertia, I would think. With the piston moving slower, RELATIVE TO CAM ROTATION SPEED, it could allow for slightly more cylinder filling at BDC. Obviously, this argument must be a sophistry, since no one has been able to show it actually works that way..
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

From a purely quantitative perspective, that longer rod will net you a .010 difference in piston motion max at 90 degrees ATDC and less everywhere else. Your rod angle is still high at 19.6 degrees vs 20.1 degrees. I have a program that I can quickly plug the numbers into. Making a small change to rod length is generally not going to affect things appreciably.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

kirkwoodken wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
I know the sole purpose of the connecting rod is to connect the piston to the crank. But, this slowing down piston speed at the bottom of the stroke seems to be the only thing that could approach an increase in power. At the bottom of the stroke, the intake air column has its most inertia, I would think. With the piston moving slower, RELATIVE TO CAM ROTATION SPEED, it could allow for slightly more cylinder filling at BDC. Obviously, this argument must be a sophistry, since no one has been able to show it actually works that way..
What is the difficulty in understanding the piston moves thru BDC faster
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Man, this subject has been thrashed to death,
The only real advantage seems to be a mechanical one, where a rod / stroke ratio in excess of 2.0 seems to be the hot number
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

by bigjoe1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:28 pm
LIGHTER pistons

JOE SHERMAN RACING

slightly less side thrust/ cylinder wall loading/ friction
and if you ask me (or camking) the cam does need to be tweeked

Lighter is better

reread Walter Malik's answer