Part 2,How much fuel do I think for the 1/4

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Part 2,How much fuel do I think for the 1/4

Post by oldhead »

I am going to ask differently..A friend asks me that.I answer 3/4 of a gallon,he said "Can't be"..I flow two .120s in two bowls (Right side up :D ) and find that it takes 52 second to pass a 128 oz. gallon or that makes my 8.70 at 157.3670# car can't use more then the 8.70 second flow of around 10 oz. Does that sound right....My engine dyno more then 1100 hp....Oldhead :? :? :? :? :? :?PS: Not the burn out,Just moving down the !/4
Quicker then most
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
Re: Part 2,How much fuel do I think for the 1/4

Post by kirkwoodken »

You should be able to figure fuel used from the BSFC on your dyno sheet.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
automotive breath
Guru
Guru

Post by automotive breath »

Your dyno sheet should tell you how much fuel the engine burns; start there. (sorry Kirk you beat me to it)

How much fuel does your bowls hold?

.and. Are they full or empty at the end of the run? (difficult to answer but extremely important)

If it were mine, I'd be looking for a fuel delivery problem.

quote from MagnaFuel
"How much fuel flow is enough?
The correct volume of fuel is that which is required to support the amount of horsepower that the engine can produce. Most engines
that are using gasoline burn approximately .5 pounds per horsepower-hour. This is sometimes called BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel
Consumption). What this means is that for each horsepower produced, it takes ½ pound of fuel. This is a general statement and
sometimes engines can be a little more efficient than .5lb/hp-hr., but it is a good practice to plan and measure fuel system operation
using this number. Carburetors must have a stable supply of fuel in order to maintain the correct liquid fuel height. This is most
difficult with drag racing vehicles that sometimes have forward acceleration and wheel stand at the same time. "
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Why look for a "Fuel delivery problem" When there is no problem.Oldhead :D :D :D :D
Quicker then most
automotive breath
Guru
Guru

Post by automotive breath »

oldhead wrote:Why look for a "Fuel delivery problem" When there is no problem.Oldhead :D :D :D :D
1100 HP engines are expensive, it's best to know that your fuel bowls are full. If you are sure that they are full
at the end of the run, there is no problem. I get the feeling you are not sure.
oldhead wrote:..that makes my 8.70 at 157.3670# car can't use more then the 8.70 second flow of
around 10 oz. Does that sound right...
The engine might burn more than the 10 oz you measured, it could be burning all that the pump delivers and most of what is
in the bowls with out you seeing a problem. So the question remains, how much fuel does your engine burn in 8.7 seconds?
bison

Post by bison »

.45 BSFC 1.196lbs in 8.7 sec
.5 BSFC 1.329lbs in 8.7 sec
.55 BSFC 1.462lbs in 8.7 sec
.6 BSFC 1.595lbs in 8.7 sec

Approx weight of a gallon off gas is 6.25lbs. Simple math from there to get the volumes consumed in other units. Its more accurate to use the engines mass flow number rather than hp number for any formula regarding fuel since hp is a formula itself. Its typically a little over 100lbs/min of air at 157mph and 3500lbs. The oxygenation of the fuel and the efficiency of the engine can vary the consumption either way 10%