460 Ford block real world experience

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 460 Ford block real world experience

Post by ProPower engines »

They are a company that produces interchange books that are make specific for the auto wrecking industry. They have been around for a very long time and there info gets updated daily now that the world is connected by the internet.
Before that it was I believe quarterly and the books were not cheap.

Most wrecker that specialized only got specific volumes produced but I think the last books we got here were about $2500 USD each at that time plus the exchange rate was bad as well making them more costly but they were a must have.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Lem Evans wrote:Who is Hollander ?
hollanderinterchange.net began as a big book with every casting number and part number of every US car and truck. It was the bible of the wrecking yard industry. Every yard of any size had one. Later, it went digital, but still sells the service.

What Hollander is not is a definitive source for what was manufactured and installed in which year. What Hollander strives to do is indicate what is an interchange; what part will bolt directly on and function in the identical manner.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

I just wondered...I've only been a Ford deal for 43 years and never heard of Hollander. Then again, I've never ran a junk yard :)

I have been a 429-460 engine guy for 35 years & I would not defer to Hollander or Xaviera Hollander on the subject.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Is that Probe only available .060?
CC is about the same as the Icon I listed above which should give an easy 10:1 and if optimized with a thinner than felpro gasket or positive deck 10.5
Crower and others have 1.8 rockers as catalog items
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

wyrmrider wrote:Is that Probe only available .060?
CC is about the same as the Icon I listed above which should give an easy 10:1 and if optimized with a thinner than felpro gasket or positive deck 10.5
Crower and others have 1.8 rockers as catalog items
Probe has + .030" - .040' - .060" - .080" pistons.
'-
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

My bad- I was thinking of a Mopar 400 at the time
do double check not only rod length 6.7-6.8 but watch for chevy pin size on both pistons and rods
either chevy or ford will work but they have to be on the same page
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
lada ok wrote:Well all I can say Mr Malik, it appears your mimicking a bird shaped bonnet emblem, whilst riding high on the bow of the Titanic is impressive, ......but I see an iceberg close by !

Anyway the best way we found to stiffen these blocks, is to run thick steel straps ( railway iron will do ) longitudinally along either side of the block with 1/2 '" through bolts
That might work fine for the block however, does nothing for the main CAP lack of strength. I have personally, as well as a lot of others, determined that after reaching the 850 lb/ft of torque plateau, it is simply a much better option to obtain a stronger block; unless particular rules prohibit such a thing.
Ha ha ... I forgot to tell you guys that we run the bolts right thru the block from one side to the other !
Flo
Pro
Pro

Post by Flo »

I planned to order the rocker arms from Kaase with the heads. They have a T&D shaft mounted system they recommend. Need toa sk for the ratio though, surprisingly not mentioned on their website!
Greets
Flo
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

You are not going to need to get shafted with a short hyd roller cam, but ok
stud girdle would work but also not absolutely necessary
with the $$$ budgeted on girdles and shafts you could stick a blower on it, or EFI
Do select one of the 30+cc SCJ compatible pistons- I like the Icons
? to ask? why the difference in valve reliefs?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Flo wrote:I planned to order the rocker arms from Kaase with the heads. They have a T&D shaft mounted system they recommend. Need toa sk for the ratio though, surprisingly not mentioned on their website!
Greets
Flo
Shafts or a bolt-down fulcrum valve train is best with the greater pushrod side angles which the taller hydraulic roller lifter will present on the big block Ford.
There is a certain extra amount of "side sweeping" with a stud mounted rocker set-up and a guideplate; (not good for valve stem and guide longevity).
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Flo
Pro
Pro

Post by Flo »

I am still unsure regarding main girdle or 4 bolt caps. The inlay part is out of question, too much machine work.

If everyone agrees on a pump gas motor below 6500rpm being fine with just the rgualr 2 bolts I might leave it like that!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

lada ok wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
lada ok wrote:Well all I can say Mr Malik, it appears your mimicking a bird shaped bonnet emblem, whilst riding high on the bow of the Titanic is impressive, ......but I see an iceberg close by !

Anyway the best way we found to stiffen these blocks, is to run thick steel straps ( railway iron will do ) longitudinally along either side of the block with 1/2 '" through bolts
That might work fine for the block however, does nothing for the main CAP lack of strength. I have personally, as well as a lot of others, determined that after reaching the 850 lb/ft of torque plateau, it is simply a much better option to obtain a stronger block; unless particular rules prohibit such a thing.
Ha ha ... I forgot to tell you guys that we run the bolts right thru the block from one side to the other !

So you run railway iron down either side of the block and then run a 1/2" thru bolt right thru the block?
Thru the main web therefore thru the oil gallerys to cam bearings and main bearing? Or thru the cranckase area and around the crank counterweights and connecting rods? Or thru the main caps and bolts or what??
I have built a 'couple' of BBF's over the years cant seem to work out what you are meaning, i must be missing something!
Can you describe this further?, better still, post a pic of this setup??
Craig.
D.S.R.E.

Post by D.S.R.E. »

2 bolt will be fine for what you are planning
proper Clearances, Good Machine Work, and Good Tuning is Paramount
you can destroy anything with too tight of clearance and a bad tune up !
But you can also get some combinations to live longer by making sure you Putting your money and time where its absolutely necessary!
This is Just my opinion based on my actual experience lol
Build it Once Build it Right!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Walter R. Malik
Thanks for the rocker tips with HR cam
I may have one coming up
do they make HR with offset pushrod seat?
Customer has a hot boat currently with SCJ heads
but he is open to most anything as he has no chassis limitations
he's thinking raised ports but the heads OP has selected look about as good as TFS
Boss9 is a whole other issue
He has to decide on new block or not and if new block will go bigger than 520
interesting thread
thanks all
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

you are following this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41510