Mopar/Weiand 440-6pack tunnelram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Mopar/Weiand 440-6pack tunnelram

Post by BradH »

amc fan wrote:There is a guy in Canada Don Dulmage ---big-d@sympatico.ca---- that had top castings made and has the molds to make them but he doesn't answer the e-mails that I sent him!
I haven't swapped e-mails w/ Don in years, but he used to be pretty responsive back then. He did manage to find some improvements w/ his home-made 2x4 lid on that Weiand intake over what he ran before, as you may have seen on his web site. I don't think he's updated that in years, either.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I have not seen a Mod manifold on an engine before...just photos of them on display tables. My take on multi carb setups was that back in the day the early carbs (50's-60's) did not flow more than 400- 500 cfm later in the 60's ...600-750 cfm hence dual quads for performance! The intake manifolds left a lot to be desired and were mostly left to the ease of easy pattern making for the molds for the castings! I sight an Offenhauser in line 2x4 for example a single 4 barrel 950-1050 on a Victor or Super victor will kick its ass! I think the problem with 440-6pack set up on Weiand tunnelram is no accelerator pumps on outboard carbs a 30cc pump shot from center carb has a long way to go to hit the runners!.....And how many cc's of fuel comes out of 1shot on a 30cc pump? I think GM on there tripowers had no idle circuits on out board carbs but had accelerator pumps on them.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

wyrmrider wrote:Nice
Is that a "see through" valley cover?
Weiand still looks bitchin
but then so does a cross ram
built a motor for a roadster with a 471 on each bank of the cross ram
also looked bitchin, small avs on each, ran great
Yes, see thru cover so you can check on the lifters/pushrods. Also lets you see how much oil you're throwing around in the valley.
514valley.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Herman Lewis had almost same arrangement on his AMC intakes.... they bolted from the bottom! Not as nice as yours and they would constantly crack even using polycarbonate 1/4" thick!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

For a big block Mopar Tri-Power, 6 BRL induction, the Weiand manifold with Mopar # P3690982, (a crossed runner, tunnel ram), is the best manifold package for that 6 BRL set-up ever developed.
Carburetors needed to have severe tuning changes to get the most from them.

Problem is ... it went out of production 20 years ago.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

and even more to be 3X2 bbl streetable
on the street I'd go 2x AVS
One stock 4bbl ok for strip- not for street
If you want a BIG 4bbl use a modern manifold
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

We found a brand new NOS Weiand P3690982 bottom.... no top and my freind brought it over and we are in the process of cutting polycarb sheet to lay carbs on top to see how 2-Carter AFB/AVS/Edelbrock carbuerators and 3-2s Holleys look on top as far as placement/spacing.I was wondering if anyone has pictures of the underside of the 3x2 top I am curious as to how they cast the underside.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

amc fan wrote:We found a brand new NOS Weiand P3690982 bottom.... no top and my freind brought it over and we are in the process of cutting polycarb sheet to lay carbs on top to see how 2-Carter AFB/AVS/Edelbrock carbuerators and 3-2s Holleys look on top as far as placement/spacing.I was wondering if anyone has pictures of the underside of the 3x2 top I am curious as to how they cast the underside.
If you can locate one, the MOPAR ENGINES soft cover book from the mid 90's part number P4452790 has a bunch of drawings about modifications and also jetting recommendations.
The Mopar Performance literature out there about using 2 Carter AFB carbs on that manifold done for Kieth Black is in that book, as well as what is needed to be done for the vacuum 6 BRL set-up, like increasing the center carb jetting at least 10 sizes,

The dual AFB stuff was for using either AFB #2790 & #2791 carbs or AFB #3258 & #3259 carbs.

I don't know what size carbs they were ... I think they might have been Street Hemi carbs or Max Wedge carbs.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Walter the only Mopar engine book I could find is the 9th and final edition and not sure it will be in there!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I have all the Direct Connection/ Mopar performance books and could fax you the info
but I'm away till after the first ov Nov, if you still need after then send me a PM next month
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

OkThanks if I can't find book I'll PM you when you're back in Nov!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

On your polycarb top
The question to ask now is how thick to make it so you can hollow it out for some plenum volume= How much plenum???
There were some posters with experience
When we made the blower top we used aluminum- and it certainly solves the fuel puddling and distribution problem- but that manifold had already had some popsicle stick mods if I remember correctly

Here is a similar idea for the Early Hemi- Easily the best manifold IMHO
A rare shot of the Winged Express not moving. Probably from late 1967, or early 1968.
Note the Roto-Faze intake manifold, with raised the blower up about 6 inches.
This didn't last too long, so it must not have worked that well.
So, I'm printing away on shirts, and the phone rings...It's Joe Panek, proprietor of RotoFaze, calling to straighten out the reason why this intake manifold didn't last very long with the Winged Express. Joe sez that they only ran this setup for for a couple of weeks, (Carlsbad and Orange County by his recollection), and due to the unique design of 6the RotoFaze manifold, the jetting requirements were quite different from the lowrise blower manifolds prevalent at the time. Joe said that Willie wanted to run the same jettting as always used, and not the recommended jets, and the performance fell off, and so the RotoFaze came off, and the old low-rise manifold went back on.
picture here- next to last
https://mbasic.facebook.com/profile.php ... 6852142140
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I will lay out 1/4 sheet of lexan/polycarbonate sheet on top of a 1or2 inch spacer ring out of aluminum and if I like what I see I will transfer to aluminum top plate!
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Besides the basic mixture distribution fixes, the biggest factor in these intakes is reducing the plenum volume. The stuffer blocks shown in the referenced article is one way to address this. The original tops contributed a large amount to the overall plenum volume.

Making a flat top reduces this volume considerably. Dropping the plenum volume will also help keep the fuel in suspension and will reduce the need for some of the distribution fixes (i.e. popsickle sticks and dams) that are work-arounds for fuel droplet issues exacerbated by the too-large plenum volume. Once the raw fuel drops out of the air/fuel mix all bets are off, especially in a dynamic environment (acceleration). Back when these intakes were popular in Super Stock, the dyno gains made from the distribution fixes rarely gave the on-track performance gains the dynos showed....the fuel still 'puddled'. The Rat Roaster hemi intakes also showed gains by plenum volume reduction. These were less critical than the 3X2 440 setups as they had the benefit of two accelerator pumps on the AVS carbs.

Dots can be connected accordingly...... :wink:
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

From top of plenum to floor is aprox.13/16" or .800 to round it off.... quick calc of volume I come up with apro.1415.8cm3 if I i would trim around the od edge aprox 3/4" wide by .400 deep and drop it down it would be .400 or a little less off of the floor and would have 707.92cm3 volume .My question how low can you drop it down and still get it to work?Or would you leave it .800 over the runners and drop it to .110-.050 between the runnersto get the volume really down?