Pushrod question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Pushrod question

Post by cgarb »

Has anyone had any luck trying to shorten pushrods with press fit tips? I have some pushrods that are assembled, the new set up (changed lifters) the pushrods can be cut shorter. Didn't know if it would be a major pain in the backside disassembling them and cutting them. I have a lathe readily available to use so I'm not paying someone to do it. My time is free. Looking for any tips if someone has done this before. Thanks
robert1
Guru
Guru

Re: Pushrod question

Post by robert1 »

You could grind a small flat on each side to lessen the press fit. If you are going to shorten them enough then cut off the amount you want and take the tips out and reinstall.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: Pushrod question

Post by racear2865 »

Easiest thing to do is order just the tips for one end. Cut the push rods, drill to size and press in new tips. Now if you got the time, you can cut the push rod away from the tip in a lathe and repress that tip end. You better have some patience. When you drill the push rod, leave enough inside diameter for good press fit and make sure you radius/chamfer the end before you press in the tip. Apply a drop of red loctite before you press in the tip.
reed