Piston Temp Mapping, Cylinder Temp Mapping and Block Fillers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

qikbbstang
Piston Temp Mapping, Cylinder Temp Mapping and Block Fillers

Post by qikbbstang »

No luck searching the subject or even parts of it, there seems to be relevant SAE papers (some dating back decades) but I don't have access to them. I could not even find the temperature distribution difference drawings between a hypereutectic and forged pistons. I was surprised to find: "rings, in contact with the bore, provide the best path out for piston heat." . I thought it was the surface area of piston itself to the bores. I'd like to know the temperature ranges and temperature distribution found in racing pistons for both naturally aspirated and for the heck of it with different power adder use? The temperature to "loss of piston strength" for no other word: "ratios"?
I'd like get an idea at what heights heat transfers from the piston assembly in a common water jacketed cylinder?
Regarding block fillers I'd like some idea of how much heat sink is lost from the piston with different fillers and fill heights?...
Sorry for the large "ask and you will receive" but any bits are appreciated.
Last edited by qikbbstang on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Piston Temp Mapping, Cylinder Temp Mapping and Block Fil

Post by pamotorman »

block fillers also raise the oil temp because with no cooling in the bottom half of the block the cooling effect of the hot oil splashing onto the cooler block is lost
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Piston Temp Mapping, Cylinder Temp Mapping and Block Fil

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pi ... bution+pdf

You should be able to find quite a few full text articles, theses, dissertations, etc. Be sure to add the pdf search parameter.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!