angle milling heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: angle milling heads

Post by Krooser »

My engine guy angle milled a set of heads for me this year… took 'em from advertised 76cc's to under 60 if we measured 'e right. He plugged those coolant holes but didn't mill the head bolt surfaces. He sez he's never had any issues with not milling them and, I have to say, they seem to seat just fine. These were SBC 993's castings.

Alan Roehrich has it right about these limited mod classes getting way out of hand on engines. What we used to do to make 'em run now is considered crap….. now there are so many guys in our area want to build "Mastercard" motors in a $200 to win class.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

as a former NASCAR tech inspector at 2 local tracks you are correct credit card racing has ruined local racing.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

It's just racing!

It's about winning.......not making money at it!
If you are looking to make money at your hobby, racing might not be the place to try! :wink:
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

In my sort of old age i have decided life is only whatever fun and enjoyment you can get out of it and then you die. Yes very few can ever make any money out of racing so its just for the fun factor. But if majority of the people trying to do it now have to go in debt on there credit cards to even have a chance at winning at a very low level of racing then yes the others have ruined the racing for everyone involved in it.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Little Mouse wrote:In my sort of old age i have decided life is only whatever fun and enjoyment you can get out of it and then you die. Yes very few can ever make any money out of racing so its just for the fun factor. But if majority of the people trying to do it now have to go in debt on there credit cards to even have a chance at winning at a very low level of racing then yes the others have ruined the racing for everyone involved in it.
the beginning of the season you get lots of cars as people have maxed out their credit cards. if they blow a engine of need a new chassis because of a wreck you will be lucky to see them the rest of the racing season. back in the day when I was in racing we made money every year (we won a lot) and sold the car and engine for a profit but that is not going to happen any more.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

pamotorman wrote:
Little Mouse wrote:In my sort of old age i have decided life is only whatever fun and enjoyment you can get out of it and then you die. Yes very few can ever make any money out of racing so its just for the fun factor. But if majority of the people trying to do it now have to go in debt on there credit cards to even have a chance at winning at a very low level of racing then yes the others have ruined the racing for everyone involved in it.
the beginning of the season you get lots of cars as people have maxed out their credit cards. if they blow a engine of need a new chassis because of a wreck you will be lucky to see them the rest of the racing season. back in the day when I was in racing we made money every year (we won a lot) and sold the car and engine for a profit but that is not going to happen any more.
There was a recent post made on the unofficial WISSOTA racing forum that said the organization has about 700 midwest modifieds registered for competition in 2014 but less than 1/2 of those raced more than 10 nights this past season. WISSOTA has about 50 sanctioned tracks in the US and Canada. These # 's are what I remember (I may be a bit off) but that shows that even in the 'economy' racing classes cost have a lot to do with how many cars show up to race every week.

Rules and the lagging economy have a big impact on car counts.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

We noticed this money issue with SCCA amateur racing way back to the early 1970s.
Not even any prize money, but car companies were taking factory teams out on the tracks with basically "unlimited" bucks behind them. They showed up with 2 or 3 tractor trailer trucks all custom painted with the factory racing team logos and colors, and unloaded several cars, and the last truck had a complete machine shop in it with all kinds of extra parts and stuff. Most everyone else trailered their cars in behind their daily driver or work van, and slept in tents in the infield, and did all their own work and race prep and their buddies pitted for them.
After that, we sort of drifted away from it, because the factory efforts just obliterated everybody at every race, and it was no fun anymore, and we needed to be millionaires to even try to get close.