Plugging lifter bores

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Plugging lifter bores

Post by jacksoni »

I am involved in a project where I want to plug the lifter bores, or at least the oil supply to the lifter bores. They have bronze sleeves which I don't want to remove (in case I go back to using them). As best I can tell the hole to the main oil gallery to the lifters was drilled through the bore and then the sleeves inserted. Anybody ever done this and how or have a bright idea?
Thanks.
user-z68766209

Re: Plugging lifter bores

Post by user-z68766209 »

Is this a mopar block?
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

No, SD Pontiac 4 but effectively SBC with .937 keyway lifter sleeves.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Buy some 1 inch diameter Teflon rod and make plugs. If you chill them you might be able to slip them in place without machining and then the coefficient of expansion differential will keep them locked into place.

You could also have them turned to the correct size and then drill a hole through the center axis to make a sort of expansion plug using a carriage bolt or similar.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

just plug the oil feed to the lifter oil gallery.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Kevin Johnson wrote:Buy some 1 inch diameter Teflon rod and make plugs. If you chill them you might be able to slip them in place without machining and then the coefficient of expansion differential will keep them locked into place.

You could also have them turned to the correct size and then drill a hole through the center axis to make a sort of expansion plug using a carriage bolt or similar.
Have thought of something like this but couldn't figure material or how. this a good idea. Can then put a large washer on top to keep it from getting loose and dropping into the nether regions. :lol:

Kevin, I know you use a lot of Teflon with your scrapers (mine seems to be working fine) do you have a source you like?
Last edited by jacksoni on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

pamotorman wrote:just plug the oil feed to the lifter oil gallery.
I would but can't get at anything helpful. Main oil gallery (is only one) feeds mains and the lifters both and I can't get at the tiny holes that feed the lifters.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jacksoni wrote: Kevin, I know you use a lot of Teflon with your scrapers (mine seems to be working fine) do you have a source you like?
We have been purchasing from Professional Plastics for many years and are very pleased with their service.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I ran a V/8 sb chevy block as a 4cyl. Machined lifter plugs from aluminum held in by a plates drilled and tapped in between each pair.