motor falls off before traps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Re: motor falls off before traps

Post by Strange Magic »

When you lose 25 pounds right off the bat, on a spring that is 275, which now becomes 250, that is an indication that the springs are of a very, very poor quality, unless you have issues of abnormal harmonics from mechanical valve train problems, and if so, that really needs to be addressed.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Strange Magic wrote:When you lose 25 pounds right off the bat, on a spring that is 275, which now becomes 250, that is an indication that the springs are of a very, very poor quality, unless you have issues of abnormal harmonics from mechanical valve train problems, and if so, that really needs to be addressed.
And to add to that is the reason we went from nextec to pac springs. Amazing the difference at 1100 .. after 2 runs.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

I have a tool you put right on the spring when its on the motor and it tells you the pressure,
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Im sure you wont listen to this advice again but, Carry on anyways. With the amount of compression you have on Race fuel or even Alky you have too much timing. The thing you have to remember is you are comparing DYNO hp numbers at a gain of 70. It will have more torque with a few less degrees of timing and perform the same and not eventually burn down. That combo should not need more than 35 degrees timing period. But do what you want and have a good day.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

I am backing timing back to 36 degrees to run alcohol. I never do anything unless I test and I test a lot. just like with timing. on the dyno it showed the motor gave more HP at 38 degrees ,than 35 degrees, no question on that. Say thing at the track. I made 2 runs at 35 degrees, then 2 runs at 38 degrees, car went quicker with 38 degrees, so I switched it back to 35 degrees and car slowed up. So whats that tell you ? I test all the time, seems like that's all I do ,is test. Time slips do not lie. Its all about the combination, I know that. I see, these real high dollar cars at the track,with 6 man crews, going slower then me or not even getting down the track.I post on this site for something to do,maybe get some ideas, shoot the bull, maybe learn something. But I just post the information that I get from working on my cars. I have no secrets that I keep, so my car is faster than anyones, I do not care about that. I have fun just trying to make my car go faster, with all I have at the time. I have a big grudge race coming up on june 27 in Kansas, against Chris Collins.out of Orlando ,fa. not a bracket race. heads up race. VEGA VS VEGA.I have a 421 CI sbc , N/A one carb. he is building a 622 CI blown big block on alcohol to beat me with. So I am trying to get every 100rd of a second I can get. Vega Nationals.race. I know its not important to you, but it is to me. All kinds of betting going on this, $1000 bets, lots of them. He should beat me, but will he
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Motor falls off
Power falls off
English is a tough language but the above works for me
You could be more retarded going through the traps
I've posted about Dyno Don doing our 413 Max Wedge On Don Blairs Dyno in Pasadena CA
He always got the timing to high for use at the track
Did get the advance curve to come in about as well as could be done
Then we had to race him on Sunday
Steve Haaf

Post by Steve Haaf »

Just a thought here, everybody knows that the faster you turn an engine, the more efficient the combustion chamber becomes. Even I`m looking at that 38* advance at 8000+ rpm and wondering why so much. I can see you putting that much advance in to get extra 70 horse at peck horsepower/rpm, but I can`t for the life of me believe that peck horsepower is at 8000+rpm. I`m wondering if maybe you have a little too much octane and it`s taking too long to completely burn and thusly have to add more advance. Maybe your over compensating for past experiences. There is an old trick that is still used because it works and that is to retard the timing at high rpm to reduce the pumping loss because of the increased combustion chamber efficientcy. Give that a thought, it`s good for a couple mph and that might be your nose over cause. Did you ever check the manifold vacuum going through the traps, might be interesting.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

i tested my car this past sunday, and with all the talk about my timing being to high at 38 degrees, i backed my timing down to 36 degrees. ,1st pass 8.71.2nd pass 8.69 3rd pass 8.66, 4th.pass 8.67 .now i go back to pitts and advance my timing to 38 degrees. 5th pass 8.52 now say what ever you want, but when my et jumps that much, well it likes timing. Why ? no clue. C-14 fuel too much octane and the extra timing gives it more time to burn correctly ? But there is no way i am putting lower octane in. burnt up 2 motors with lower octane. so i know that's a costly mistake. But all this does not matter now.i am switching to alcohol today. and start all over. and yes starting with 36 degrees of timing
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

good to know
good luck
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

vega in pitts small picture.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

May 20th
I took the springs off and put then on a press that measures the seat pressure, it said they were 140 lbs. what were these springs new ? I do not know, they just were wore out. Why didn't the valves hit my pistons ? lucky I guess. I bought new pittsburg springs, they have more pressure because they are new , DAAA. . it ran 8.50 with transmission slipping real bad.
May 22nd
this is motor only running on C-14 fuel. I run. 8.505 at 155 mph. and I know now that's With my transmission slipping .So with my trans fixed it will be quicker.
May 26th
5th pass 8.52 now say what ever you want, but when my et jumps that much, well it likes timing. Why ? no clue.
Ok, so to sum this all up:

You went 8.50et and then you stumbled into two major issues. Valve springs which where at 140pds and a slipping transmission and you ran 8.50.

You change out all the valve springs for new ones which have the correct pressure and you fix your slipping transmission and you run 8.52.

This is not what I say, this is what you say.

What is your hunch as to why it went slower with new valve springs and repairing the slipping transmission?

What is the 1050 jetted at?

Being that the cylinder pressure is "235" as you mention, it might not like alky. Although if the cylinder pressure is not truly 235 and is quite a bit lower, it will turn on with alky. Your timing of 38 degrees almost indicates that it is down on cylinder pressure, unless the pointer is not accurate.

P.S. If your over 93 jetting, your just cleaning up fuel with timing.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

the went 8.505 in very cool air 54 degrees, and I had 20% super blue 007 power additive added to my c-14 race fuel. THAT stuff works. I was trying to run the same with out the additive,was getting close. there were other problems that were keeping the car from running right that day. I did not mention, because I made a stupid mistake. I went ahead and put on my new alcohol pump and new lines before I tested, I was in a hurry and did not flush the line out, I just hooked to carb. as it turns out there was trash in the new pump or line and it got stuck in both jet ententions ,blocking the 2 rear main jets. Yea I made all those runs with motor having a lean miss in it. I made a mistake, car would have went faster, just did not think of looking into the jet extentions for trash. but now does not matter. I leaned from that mistake. alcohol carb goes on tonight and I shipped out my 1050 cfm to a guy out west who bought it.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

Strange (is it OK if I call you by your first name LOL) don't you remember the tunnel ram thread. He's going to continue running too much timing, change all kinds of stuff, all at once, as well as pouring all kinds of stuff in his fuel to try to go .001 faster. At least up until he tears a bunch of stuff up. If that's what he want's to do that's cool I guess. I think the car runs good. I also think with a little tuning it could be a killer 8.70 bracket car.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

woody, you never tried super blue 007,did you ? I picked up a tenth using it. I bet money on that. and that's on a 8 second car.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

My mom's waiting for your order
It's brackets, why spend all that money on a tenth
how's the vega heads up event coming?