Fuel Choice's

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

predator
Fuel Choice's

Post by predator »

Hello Guys:

First off let me say that I do not know if I am on the correct Web-site, or if I am on the right section of this web-site for the question I have. But, here it goes:I have a 1971 Plymouth road-runner. This Car is a car that I am putting together to be able to run at events such as the silver-State road race up in Nevada, and to also make passe's down the Quarter mile.

So, this brings me to my Question? My Engine is a iron Block 440. The engine has a Mechanical compression ratio of 14 to 1. The engine is set-up with a Zero-Deck. The Engine has Indy C-N-C ported S-R heads, solid roller cam, crank trigger ignition.

What I want to know is: Do you guys think I should run a RACE-GAS? Or, would I benefit from running Methanol? By the Way my Compression ratio is 14 to 1.

Just let me know what you think.

Good By The Big Guy 925-497-1059
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Fuel Choice's

Post by David Redszus »

If that were my project I would run a race gas with about 114MON, without ethanol or methanol.

Both alcohols are water sponges and will subject the engine to rusting.
predator
Fuel, it's about making changes

Post by predator »

Hi Guys:

Hey Being that my Engine is set-up with a 14 to 1 Mechanical Compression, Zero-Deck. I am sitting around thinking, just thinking mind you. I am having thoughts of injecting it, and being able to switch from Methanol to gasoline on the fly. I am thinking that I will need to add a second Fuel cell. Also have some sort of ability to switch between the Gasoline and the Methanol. Also my fuel injection would need to be able top switch what are they Called? I think it is called (Fuel Maps)

Do any of you guys think that I have a chance of making this work?

Good By The BIG Guy
vintageracer

Post by vintageracer »

Considering the distance involved in the Silver State as a wild guess you would need at least 50 gallons of Methanol. Plan on wide open throttle for most of the distance unless you pick a slower speed class. It is not a drag race.
If it was easy all of my neighbors would race too!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

VP C12 would work well. Be ready to run a cooler plug for extended runs where the engine heats up, hotter for drag racing where you can keep the engine cooler.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
predator

Post by predator »

Hi Guys:

Please forgive me here. For, I fell like such a rookie. You guys all seem to have a (HANDLE) as to the the points of
building a High Performance ride. So, please bear with me.

OK here are some particulars on my Car: It is a 1971 Plymouth Road-Runner. I The Car is to be powered by a 440,
The engine is a .030 over 14 to 1 Solid Roller Cam, Indy S-R headed engine. I right now have a Gear Vendors over-drive
behind a Torque-Flight transmission. the car has an 8 and 3/4 with 4.88's. But this might change. You see I want to be
able to have the optimal gearing so the Car will accelerate well from low-speeds, all the way to 200 MPH or more.

Yeou see Guys, my original idea was to add a second O-D to my Drive-line. But the thought of running 4.88's and
spinning my drive-shaft to hyper-sonic rotational speeds, via two over-drives. Then having my car spit-out a drive-shaft
at Two hundred miles an hour, was freaking me out.

Now, I am thinking about running a 6-speed transmission, and then running taller gears in the rear. That way, the
hyper spinning shafts would be inside a Transmission, and it would all take place at a much lower vehicle speeds.

OK, as to the feeding of my engine: My engine is a medium compression 14 to 1 440. As to fuel, I really don't know
what Brand fuel the engine will like.Maybe what Ken said, that Renegade 110- C-12 would be a good choice?

Guys, please give this Rookie your thoughts.

Good By The BIG Guy