Piston Aero Engines

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: Piston Aero Engines

Post by rfoll »

I assumed a dry sump. Older engine designs tend to have tall, or in this case, deep piston designs. With a pressure fed crank over the top, the oil has to be all over the underside of the piston. At lower rpms it would seem they would catch and hold a lot of oil.
So much to do, so little time...
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

rfoll wrote:I assumed a dry sump. Older engine designs tend to have tall, or in this case, deep piston designs. With a pressure fed crank over the top, the oil has to be all over the underside of the piston. At lower rpms it would seem they would catch and hold a lot of oil.
So . . . wrist pin lubrication will never be a problem #-o
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

rfoll wrote:I assumed a dry sump. Older engine designs tend to have tall, or in this case, deep piston designs. With a pressure fed crank over the top, the oil has to be all over the underside of the piston. At lower rpms it would seem they would catch and hold a lot of oil.
I understand that the collection sump is in the cam covers.
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

Inverted engines...the original Chrysler Hemi used scavenge pumps in each rocker cover to return oil to the main tank. This was common practice for inverted "inline" engines.

[lots of confusing terminology in this area. Most "inline" engines were V types. The reference was obviously related to radial construction, as opposed to car
practice. Thus a V-12 Allison, Ranger or Merlin or a V-16 Chrysler were "inline" engines. Another confusing one is "unsupercharged" in reference to military A/C
engines. Early superchargers had limited boost, and were sometimes called
"homogenizers" because of their use in radial engines. "Ground boosted" is
also related. See also "critical altitude."]