Hyd lifter preload ques

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassicComp
Expert
Expert
Hyd lifter preload ques

Post by ClassicComp »

Doing a Buick v8 resto mild cam anyone see a prob with .100 lifter preload approx
results speak for themselves
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Hyd lifter preload ques

Post by Schurkey »

Lifters vary enormously. I've seen stock-style lifters with more than 0.250 travel. Others have very little.

What does your lifter manufacturer recommend?

If the lifter will accept that 0.100 preload, I don't see any other problems. Buick has a shaft-style rocker system, so pushrod length doesn't affect rocker geometry--just lifter preload/lash
raceman14
Expert
Expert

Post by raceman14 »

Pretty sure too much pre-load can cause bent pushrods if the lifter tries to pump that last ..070"-.080"" if not that the valve might hang open.
I have not met a single hydraulic lifter that did not like 1/4-1/2 turns ( 2-3 flats on nut ) from just snug, maybe .020"-.030".
If rockers are too tight from milling block and heads you can shorten the pushrods or shim the stands. If you are having a hard time finding small shims you can always use SBC distributor gear shims or SBC cam button nose bearing shims. They cost a little bit but they are very uniform in thickness.

Mark@AlienChassisDYno.com
More is always better!!! Most of the time.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

Lifter I checked had .235 travel
results speak for themselves
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

raceman14 wrote:Pretty sure too much pre-load can cause bent pushrods if the lifter tries to pump that last ..070"-.080"" if not that the valve might hang open... Mark@AlienChassisDYno.com
How is that possible? The lifter can only take up lash, it can't force the valve open. Or do you mean that if you have too much preload and the engine goes into valve float, the lifter could pump up enough to cause P-V contact and thus bent valves and/or pushrods?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.