Robertshaw engine thermostats discontinued?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Robertshaw engine thermostats discontinued?

Post by Schurkey »

Went looking for a new Robertshaw thermostat for my work truck, and nobody has 'em.

Did Robertshaw fold-up the engine thermostat business?

Flowkooler and Stewart seem to have the Robertshaw design, but at wildly high prices; and no guarantee that they aren't Chinese knock-offs.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Robertshaw engine thermostats discontinued?

Post by ProPower engines »

Got a pic?? Never heard of the brand and curious what it looks like. :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Wholesale closeout on SBC t-stats...

http://www.rockauto.com
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

So where to get a Dodge 361-3 or 413-3 truck thermostat?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Figgers! One of the few names you could rely on for accurate, high flow, low hysteresis thermostats; probably driven under by the 'No product can't be made cheaper and worse." philosophy and the short-sighted people that accept it. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Krooser wrote:Wholesale closeout on SBC t-stats...

That link just goes to the generic home page. a quick search of one SBC year didn't bring up any Robertshaw. Is there a p/n or something to get us closer?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

FWIW, they are still listed on a number of sites, e.g.: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/b ... /overview/
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

they are also call hi flow thermostats. http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-Gask ... 9/10002/-1
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The part number I'm looking for is 330-195. The first three digits represent the fitment; and there's many variations including the kind with the bypass blockoff plate underneath as seen on some Cadillacs; and of course diameter differences in the flange from GM to Chrysler, for example. The last three digits represent the opening temperature. They have a distinctive shape compared to the ordinary Stant or Delco thermostat; and when they open the flow is from around the large diameter outer ring rather than a small diameter poppet. They've also got an appropriately-tiny stamped-in air vent as seen at about 7:00 in this photo.

The Robertshaw thermostats were knocked-off by MrGasket (as far as I can tell.) The MrG thermostats looked like Robertshaws, but were made in China. The current line of MrG thermostats look more like the standard Stant/Delco design. The last Robertshaw I bought came from Mexico, so genuine Robertshaw thermostats may have been outsourced to God knows where. MAYBE the MrG thermostats used to be reboxed, genuine Robertshaws...but I don't think so. Earlier, the Robertshaw thermostats were made in Tennessee.

At any rate, automotive thermostats aren't listed on the Robertshaw web site, so I think they're "all done", and there's nothing left but NOS.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Schurkey wrote:The part number I'm looking for is 330-195. The first three digits represent the fitment; and there's many variations including the kind with the bypass blockoff plate underneath as seen on some Cadillacs; and of course diameter differences in the flange from GM to Chrysler, for example. The last three digits represent the opening temperature. They have a distinctive shape compared to the ordinary Stant or Delco thermostat; and when they open the flow is from around the large diameter outer ring rather than a small diameter poppet. They've also got an appropriately-tiny stamped-in air vent as seen at about 7:00 in this photo.

The Robertshaw thermostats were knocked-off by MrGasket (as far as I can tell.) The MrG thermostats looked like Robertshaws, but were made in China. The current line of MrG thermostats look more like the standard Stant/Delco design. The last Robertshaw I bought came from Mexico, so genuine Robertshaw thermostats may have been outsourced to God knows where. MAYBE the MrG thermostats used to be reboxed, genuine Robertshaws...but I don't think so. Earlier, the Robertshaw thermostats were made in Tennessee.

At any rate, automotive thermostats aren't listed on the Robertshaw web site, so I think they're "all done", and there's nothing left but NOS.

I gey and use those a lot but I get them under the STANT brand name as a HD Hi-Flow stat
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

ProPower engines wrote:I gey and use those a lot but I get them under the STANT brand name as a HD Hi-Flow stat
Link? Part number?

My reading of the on-line Stant catalog doesn't show anything like the Robertshaw thermostat. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

They are the same as the HP marine stat.
I never look at the P/# just that its the correct design and temp.
Edelbrock also sells the same style stat.No sure where they are made but they seem to work when Stant stats are no available.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

ProPower engines wrote:They are the same as the HP marine stat.
Edelbrock also sells the same style stat.No sure where they are made but they seem to work when Stant stats are no available.
Thanks for reminding me that I'd better pick up a 160 degree version for the boat. The aftermarket marine thermostat and housing require this brand of thermostat to fit properly. I think I'd be screwed if the thermostat in the boat died and I couldn't get another of this style.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

PackardV8 wrote:
Krooser wrote:Wholesale closeout on SBC t-stats...

That link just goes to the generic home page. a quick search of one SBC year didn't bring up any Robertshaw. Is there a p/n or something to get us closer?
359180 is the Chevy 350 p/n… 17 left on closeout
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Schurkey wrote:
ProPower engines wrote:They are the same as the HP marine stat.
Thanks for reminding me that I'd better pick up a 160 degree version for the boat. The aftermarket marine thermostat and housing require this brand of thermostat to fit properly. I think I'd be screwed if the thermostat in the boat died and I couldn't get another of this style.

Any mercury marine dealer should be able to supply up to a 180 deg stat for a raw water system as mentioned thats all that fits unless its a closed system them I believe the options get better for temp range