Robertshaw engine thermostats discontinued?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Robertshaw engine thermostats discontinued?

Post by Schurkey »

Krooser wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:
Krooser wrote:Wholesale closeout on SBC t-stats...

http://www.rockauto.com
That link just goes to the generic home page. a quick search of one SBC year didn't bring up any Robertshaw. Is there a p/n or something to get us closer?
359180 is the Chevy 350 p/n… 17 left on closeout
RockAuto's web site/catalog lookup is utterly hateful. The part number you gave translates to a Gates power steering hose.

I tried the actual Robertshaw thermostat number (330-195) but all I find is a cheap-crap Motorad reverse-poppet 'stat that either copied the Robertshaw part number, or Motorad is using the Robertshaw number as a crossover.

In looking up the part by application, they list a Robertshaw 205-degree stat, but again it's an ordinary reverse-poppet design rather than the unique "high-flow" design pioneered by Robertshaw.

Thanks for trying.

For what it's worth, I found an eBay auction for a case of 160 degree Robertshaw thermostats as used in my boat. They're just a 160-degree version of the 195-degree unit I started out looking for, to fit my truck and a thousand other Chevy/GM/Ford applications.

I'm now the King of 330-160-degree Robertshaw high-flow thermostats. Still looking for a few 330-195s, and perhaps 330-180s as well.
4banger
Pro
Pro

Post by 4banger »

Searched for one on ebay and found a new one for $14.95.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Just glanced over on eBay and found a guy selling used thermostats. Gonna jump right on that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-11-CRESE ... 14&vxp=mtr
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

If I'm not mistaken the Robert shaw stats also had a feature that if they failed it was in the open position so no overheating issues.
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

Look for Motor Rad, the Auto Value / Bumper to Bumper WD I work for is converting to Motor Rad real soon. These are a premuim stat.

Gov
a passion for racing
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

barnym17 wrote:If I'm not mistaken the Robert shaw stats also had a feature that if they failed it was in the open position so no overheating issues.
Impossible. Failures are a problem in part because they're unpredictable.

This sounds like a common misunderstanding about Motorad "FailSafe" thermostats, which are sometimes described as only failing in the open position--which is incorrect. They're designed so that if the engine overheats, the thermostat will open far enough for a lock to engage that then holds the thermostat fully open. They don't "fail open", they lock open when something else causes overheating.

http://www.motoradusa.com/fail-safe-thermostat/
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Interesting. The Robertshaw 333 was for awhile the preferred thermostat for the Ford Clevelands. The copper bypass cup size varies all over the map for chinese-copies now available from everyone. Poor bypass plug-fit in the bypass passage= potential overheating. Another weird fact: U.S mfgrs spec thermostats, freeze plugs etc in fractions rather than thousanths of an inch. I have a Sealed Power freeze plug that's stamped as size 1-51/64s!
Dimensions for 351C thermostat.tiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tsanchez

Post by tsanchez »

NIce thing about these stats are they are balanced, when pressure from pump is pushing on it before or during use it does not hinder the operation because the pressure on both sides of the cup is the same or very close. They work great and maintain consistent temperatures
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Anyone need the 359-180? I think they're for the later GM. Anyway, I've got some.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering