604 crate valve locks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gramps
604 crate valve locks

Post by gramps »

Trying to out what degree the original valve lock keys are, what degree the locks are that come with the update beehive spring kit? Are they the same or are they different degree (7, super 7,8,10) ?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 604 crate valve locks

Post by ProPower engines »

The last up date of springs etc they were a std. 7deg lock.
Depending on if you are teched you can use a -50 lock for some extra seat and open pressures as long as you have the seal clearance. the last two sets on heads I had done it was no problem with the -50 locks
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

or you can use +.050 locks and retainers and some taller springs which may last longer especially if you add a lot of valve lift
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

[or you can use +.050 locks and retainers and some taller springs which may last longer especially if you add a lot of valve lift].....Not saying it isn't happening but it would be tough to get away with it in my part of the country; crates are watched pretty closely...
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Ah crate rules motor
why didn't I think of that
I don't think they'd like -.050 either then but harder to catch, especially if they allow shims
just asking- do they?
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Ryder,
I'm probably not the best guy to answer that since I'm not an IMCA or NESMITH rebuilder. I can tell you that all of the engines I installed the upgrade kits on did not have shims. The up grade kits did not come with shims either but my understanding is they are acceptable to correct installed height. From what I've seen if the chassis, gear and the driver are right they will run out of chip before they run out of valve spring. The beehive upgrade last much longer than the older straight spring but they still need to be checked periodically.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Not trying to cheat the system just trying to find locks with a larger, stronger locking band.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Gramps,
Are you installing the beehive upgrade? I haven't seen any problem with the fitment of the locks that come with the kit. If you're just looking for more piece of mind then an aftermarket 7 degree will work. The early straight spring retainers were crap but that seems to be resolved now. For an engine package that is supposed to be consistent there seems to be a lot of variation in lifter bleed down rates from engine to engine (as well as within the same engine); can make setting the valves a PITA.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

there are " hardened" stock stamped locks
and
machined locks
Isky
Matt@PACRacing

Post by Matt@PACRacing »

You must use the locks that came with the kit. You risk non proper fitment with any others.