General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by cjperformance »

Kazoom wrote:
piston guy wrote:comparable to an original C6FE headed engine using the same components.
i heard the head was also thought about for the early 351 block?.

anyway theres no rocket science needed for any 4V head with small ci/street eng to increase its int port velocity.

put some tongues/fillers/stuffers in it.
Building up a mock boss 302w using the aussie 2V closed chamber heads with some port work is a combo that works very well :D
Craig.
FPV_GTp

Post by FPV_GTp »

Hi , nice info guys, Does anyone have cutaway/dissected pictures of cast iron CC 4V cleveland cylinder head, intake port and exhaust port to share?

Would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks guys
F/S - CAST IRON FILLER WELDING RODS 5mm X 700mm Ship Australia & New Zealand wide.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54136&p=758284#p758284
FPV_GTp

Post by FPV_GTp »

Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....

Hi Bos's5.0 , How many sets do you want , at $100 AUD's complete and for a pair of heads, which is $77 USD approx from early castings to the last castings.

cheers
F/S - CAST IRON FILLER WELDING RODS 5mm X 700mm Ship Australia & New Zealand wide.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Hi unfortunatly not, i used to have a cut 4V and cut 2V on the counter, the 4V must have grown legs and walked away !
The thicknesses between the 2 were pretty much the same, I'd think that the thicknesses in the factory blueprints would have been the same and any difference head to head is just core shift.
Craig.
FPV_GTp

Post by FPV_GTp »

Hi Craig, thank you for the reply, from the 2V's stuff that i have dissected the material thickness seems to be very uniform but there are some variations and of course age has a factor into quality due to rust and deck thickness due to resurfacing services thro their life.

So material casting margin wise to experiment around is minimal.

cheers
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....
Do you mean the Alum Chinese Clevo copy.

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

RL wrote:

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -
No the cheap ass chinese copy of the aussie copy of the yankee ally copy of the hi ported iron 4V ! Now try saying that 10 times real fast with a mouth full of chewing tobacco! :lol:
Craig.
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

cjperformance wrote:No the cheap ass chinese copy of the aussie copy of the yankee ally copy of the hi ported iron 4V ! Now try saying that 10 times real fast with a mouth full of chewing tobacco! :lol:
Hey, what's a little coping between friends :lol:

You know it's been so long since I've seen one, that it sticks in my head that it is a straight copy of the Aust 2V - that's the way Sydney Speed rolls -
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

:lol: you must nearly have a mental breakdown anytime you have to fit a non-factory part ! I used to work for someone like that #-o

The cheap ass aussie gear is not really a copy at all. They have done thier own R&D work and produced very good products that have been designed to fit within the constraints of the Cleveland layout. Some further removed and some looking just like the original part but in all cases they work better than the original , if they were a 'copy' they would either exactly like the original or be more like one of the real cheap ass castings that is not a lot better as cast than the factory stuff, even then these are more of a copy of one of the aussie 'designed' parts. !!

Cast in china can these days mean 'really bad' or 'really good', its all down to how much the product designer pays the foundry. You can buy junk anywhere if you pay junk prices.
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Kazoom wrote:
cjperformance wrote:Cast in china can these days mean 'really bad' or 'really good', its all down to how much the product designer pays the foundry. You can buy junk anywhere if you pay junk prices.
I... Image... THAT
:lol:
Well said!
Craig.
russxr67
Pro
Pro

Post by russxr67 »

Kazoom wrote:
RL wrote:

don't forget the Other "cheap ass" Aussie "Alum Chinese Clevo Copy" head from AFD.

as you must know by now,

the AFD Clevo heads are also now cast in China.

:wink:

as are the new Aussie Clevo Copy blocks from Arrow are too.

:lol:
I've got a set of the AFD 4v heads on a 393 for a customer . Regardless of where they're cast they represent very good value. Similarly cast CHI units run some $600 more.
I'll be using a lot more of the AFDs in the future. At $1500 bare it's a no brainer.
Not sure if you've actually laid eyes on the Arrow block yet kazoom but I'd hardly call it a clevo copy!
Sure ,it's cast in China too but if it wasn't for that fact we'd be paying a lot more for an aftermarket cleveland block.
FPV_GTp

Post by FPV_GTp »

russxr67 wrote: I've got a set of the AFD 4v heads on a 393 for a customer . Regardless of where they're cast they represent very good value. Similarly cast CHI units run some $600 more.
I'll be using a lot more of the AFDs in the future. At $1500 bare it's a no brainer.
Not sure if you've actually laid eyes on the Arrow block yet kazoom but I'd hardly call it a clevo copy!
Sure ,it's cast in China too but if it wasn't for that fact we'd be paying a lot more for an aftermarket cleveland block.
Hi russxr67 , good to see you on here , as long as quality isn't sacrificed for price ? Price wise manifold and heads just under 2K definitely a good buy.

Wasn't AFD heads cast/machined by Harrop engineering ? early days.

Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!! products are made in china and packaged/sold in the USA LOL????

cheers
FPV_GTp

Post by FPV_GTp »

Kazoom wrote:i NEVER had any issues with products (or copys lol) coming from asia with some form of quality control.

my sarcasm has always been about how stupid some of the outright racist banter by some online (YB) morons about asian copys is.

can also say i would of probably bought Arrow C blocks a while back before i bought Maxx W blocks if PC was marketing/distributing them up here like they are with the Maxx W down there.

Hi Kazoom, I'm not having a shot at you , your fine with me , I hope I'm not put into that basket category? LOL?

We all are allowed to express our opinions, ST is not a communist forum. LOL

Cheers
FPV_GTp

easy peasy

Post by FPV_GTp »

easy peasy with me LOL

cheers

PS i better stop flooding this good thread with my nonsense, Yes all good thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

RL wrote:
Bos's5.0 wrote:
RL wrote:
4V 601hp, 2V 585hp,
Any chance you have a port picture of a 2V fully ported that you can release? I always thought they were duds because all I ever saw were people do a bunch of work and end up with 230cfm intake ports.
The trick is all in the valve size, because the correct valve size allows you to put the correct shaped SSR in to get the higher flow.
4V 2.19" valve is so big that the air has to turn under the SSR, as opposed to a 2.09" - 2.1" valve where the air has to only turn down like a in conventional port.
Blow out the bowl in every direction, Blow out the runner in all directions except the floor. And remove the pushrod restriction on the left of the port when looking at the intake flange.

Start playing with a 2.08" valve first on a test head, and see how big you can go before it starts hurting flow - the SSR shape is critical -
- Have guys done this with a 4v head? Would be interesting to see power potential of a properly ported 4V with a 2.12 or 2.15 valve and even 1.6 exhaust (if possible)