Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RL
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Sid-den-knee, Australia

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by RL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 am

Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....
Do you mean the Alum Chinese Clevo copy.

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2477
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by cjperformance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 am

RL wrote:
Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....
Do you mean the Alum Chinese Clevo copy.

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -
No the cheap ass chinese copy of the aussie copy of the yankee ally copy of the hi ported iron 4V ! Now try saying that 10 times real fast with a mouth full of chewing tobacco! :lol:
Craig.

RL
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Sid-den-knee, Australia

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by RL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

cjperformance wrote:No the cheap ass chinese copy of the aussie copy of the yankee ally copy of the hi ported iron 4V ! Now try saying that 10 times real fast with a mouth full of chewing tobacco! :lol:
Hey, what's a little coping between friends :lol:

You know it's been so long since I've seen one, that it sticks in my head that it is a straight copy of the Aust 2V - that's the way Sydney Speed rolls -

User avatar
Kazoom
Pro
Pro
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Cal AB CND

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by Kazoom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:49 pm

RL wrote:
Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....
Do you mean the Alum Chinese Clevo copy.

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -
don't forget the Other "cheap ass" Aussie "Alum Chinese Clevo Copy" head from AFD.

as you must know by now,

the AFD Clevo heads are also now cast in China.

:wink:

as are the new Aussie Clevo Copy blocks from Arrow are too.

:lol:

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2477
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by cjperformance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 pm

:lol: you must nearly have a mental breakdown anytime you have to fit a non-factory part ! I used to work for someone like that #-o

The cheap ass aussie gear is not really a copy at all. They have done thier own R&D work and produced very good products that have been designed to fit within the constraints of the Cleveland layout. Some further removed and some looking just like the original part but in all cases they work better than the original , if they were a 'copy' they would either exactly like the original or be more like one of the real cheap ass castings that is not a lot better as cast than the factory stuff, even then these are more of a copy of one of the aussie 'designed' parts. !!

Cast in china can these days mean 'really bad' or 'really good', its all down to how much the product designer pays the foundry. You can buy junk anywhere if you pay junk prices.
Craig.

User avatar
Kazoom
Pro
Pro
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Cal AB CND

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by Kazoom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:49 pm

cjperformance wrote:Cast in china can these days mean 'really bad' or 'really good', its all down to how much the product designer pays the foundry. You can buy junk anywhere if you pay junk prices.
I... Image... THAT

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2477
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by cjperformance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Kazoom wrote:
cjperformance wrote:Cast in china can these days mean 'really bad' or 'really good', its all down to how much the product designer pays the foundry. You can buy junk anywhere if you pay junk prices.
I... Image... THAT
:lol:
Well said!
Craig.

russxr67
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 am
Location: PERTH. WEST AUST

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by russxr67 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Kazoom wrote:
RL wrote:
Bos's5.0 wrote:You Aussie guys posting those closed chamber 2V heads realize what a novelty those are here? Like $500 a set bare on Ebay.

Anyone here mess with the pro-comp Cleveland copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....
Do you mean the Alum Chinese Clevo copy.

Had a cheap ass costumer that brought a set in to get ported for a street/mainly strip car, and I think it made 650hp-680hp - can't remember exactly -
don't forget the Other "cheap ass" Aussie "Alum Chinese Clevo Copy" head from AFD.

as you must know by now,

the AFD Clevo heads are also now cast in China.

:wink:

as are the new Aussie Clevo Copy blocks from Arrow are too.

:lol:
I've got a set of the AFD 4v heads on a 393 for a customer . Regardless of where they're cast they represent very good value. Similarly cast CHI units run some $600 more.
I'll be using a lot more of the AFDs in the future. At $1500 bare it's a no brainer.
Not sure if you've actually laid eyes on the Arrow block yet kazoom but I'd hardly call it a clevo copy!
Sure ,it's cast in China too but if it wasn't for that fact we'd be paying a lot more for an aftermarket cleveland block.

User avatar
FPV_GTp
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:56 am
Location: MELBOURNE

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by FPV_GTp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:15 pm

russxr67 wrote: I've got a set of the AFD 4v heads on a 393 for a customer . Regardless of where they're cast they represent very good value. Similarly cast CHI units run some $600 more.
I'll be using a lot more of the AFDs in the future. At $1500 bare it's a no brainer.
Not sure if you've actually laid eyes on the Arrow block yet kazoom but I'd hardly call it a clevo copy!
Sure ,it's cast in China too but if it wasn't for that fact we'd be paying a lot more for an aftermarket cleveland block.
Hi russxr67 , good to see you on here , as long as quality isn't sacrificed for price ? Price wise manifold and heads just under 2K definitely a good buy.

Wasn't AFD heads cast/machined by Harrop engineering ? early days.

Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!!Many!! Many!! products are made in china and packaged/sold in the USA LOL????

cheers
F/S - Heenan and Froude G490EH engine dyno http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22982

User avatar
Kazoom
Pro
Pro
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Cal AB CND

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by Kazoom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 pm

i NEVER had any issues with products (or copys lol) coming from asia with some form of quality control.

my sarcasm has always been about how stupid some of the outright racist banter by some online (YB) morons about asian parts/copys is.

can also say i would of probably bought Arrow C blocks a while back before i bought Maxx W blocks if PC was marketing/distributing them up here like they are with the Maxx W down there.

User avatar
FPV_GTp
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:56 am
Location: MELBOURNE

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by FPV_GTp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Kazoom wrote:i NEVER had any issues with products (or copys lol) coming from asia with some form of quality control.

my sarcasm has always been about how stupid some of the outright racist banter by some online (YB) morons about asian copys is.

can also say i would of probably bought Arrow C blocks a while back before i bought Maxx W blocks if PC was marketing/distributing them up here like they are with the Maxx W down there.

Hi Kazoom, I'm not having a shot at you , your fine with me , I hope I'm not put into that basket category? LOL?

We all are allowed to express our opinions, ST is not a communist forum. LOL

Cheers
F/S - Heenan and Froude G490EH engine dyno http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22982

User avatar
Kazoom
Pro
Pro
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Cal AB CND

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by Kazoom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 pm

not to worry FPV_GTp, its all good

https://dudeism.com/takeiteasymanifesto/
Image

User avatar
FPV_GTp
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:56 am
Location: MELBOURNE

easy peasy

Post by FPV_GTp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:34 pm

easy peasy with me LOL

cheers

PS i better stop flooding this good thread with my nonsense, Yes all good thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F/S - Heenan and Froude G490EH engine dyno http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22982

thomas butt
Member
Member
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by thomas butt » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:42 pm

RL wrote:
Bos's5.0 wrote:
RL wrote:
4V 601hp, 2V 585hp,
Any chance you have a port picture of a 2V fully ported that you can release? I always thought they were duds because all I ever saw were people do a bunch of work and end up with 230cfm intake ports.
The trick is all in the valve size, because the correct valve size allows you to put the correct shaped SSR in to get the higher flow.
4V 2.19" valve is so big that the air has to turn under the SSR, as opposed to a 2.09" - 2.1" valve where the air has to only turn down like a in conventional port.
Blow out the bowl in every direction, Blow out the runner in all directions except the floor. And remove the pushrod restriction on the left of the port when looking at the intake flange.

Start playing with a 2.08" valve first on a test head, and see how big you can go before it starts hurting flow - the SSR shape is critical -
- Have guys done this with a 4v head? Would be interesting to see power potential of a properly ported 4V with a 2.12 or 2.15 valve and even 1.6 exhaust (if possible)

User avatar
Kazoom
Pro
Pro
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Cal AB CND

Re: Looking for a few tips on porting 351c 4v heads

Post by Kazoom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 am

thomas butt wrote:
RL wrote: The trick is all in the valve size, because the correct valve size allows you to put the correct shaped SSR in to get the higher flow.
4V 2.19" valve is so big that the air has to turn under the SSR, as opposed to a 2.09" - 2.1" valve where the air has to only turn down like a in conventional port.
Blow out the bowl in every direction, Blow out the runner in all directions except the floor. And remove the pushrod restriction on the left of the port when looking at the intake flange.

Start playing with a 2.08" valve first on a test head, and see how big you can go before it starts hurting flow - the SSR shape is critical -
- Have guys done this with a 4v head? Would be interesting to see power potential of a properly ported 4V with a 2.12 or 2.15 valve and even 1.6 exhaust (if possible)




remember, the cast iron 4V head was originally designed with/for a 2.23" int valve.

the cast iron 4V head works BEST with a 2.25" (or even bigger 2.30"-2.35") int valve.

last thing you want to do is try putting a small pos "2.08" 2V type valve in it.

again, for small ci eng's just use a port insert/tongue/filler/stuffer for more port velocity.

Post Reply