CMD good stuff!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tsifreak
CMD good stuff!

Post by tsifreak »

Hey I took some advice from on here to try the CMD #3 EP lube on my rod bolts and I love how smooth the pull is with no galling on the cap. With the CMD my torque was 10 lbs less to get the same bolt stretch as before using ARP ultra. As long as you have a bolt stretch gauge I would recommend the CMD over any other fastener lube avail. The stuff is real thick so a little goes along way. 1 tube should last a guy a lifetime!
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
Re: CMD good stuff!

Post by kirkwoodken »

I have honestly been using CMD#3 for over 60 years. Many people use it because it works. No moly to clog oil filters. Dissolves in oil eventually. Has been used on lathe centers and deep draw dies for years. I smear it on solid lifter camshafts for break in, all torqued bolts, rocker sockets, clutch arm balls, pilot bearings, great ball bearing lube, etc. I buy mine from Scott Special Tools in St.Charles,MO. They are right up the road from Ron's Porting and Bob Stiegemeier's dyno shop is a stone's throw away. ALL are good to do business with. Bob helped me pick up 90 HP with leaning out my Rochester FI. Ron has supplied ghost porting for quite an impressive list of customers. I haven't seen him for a few years, but I imagine his CNC's are still running every day.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Pappy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Pappy »

No moly?
What's in it that works so well?
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Kirkwoodken
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Looks like Dart, Manley, and Goodson sell the same stuff maybe relabeled? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/drt-lube
Pro question poster.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Yeah, tightening fasteners with well prepared mating faces and proper lube is a pretty luxurious and confidence inspiring feeling.

I always wonder how many fastener "failures" started with slip stick or otherwise jumpy tightening that happened to end up with the torque wrench needle falling on the right value, or refusing to move beyond it.
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

It also works great on live carbide pilots for valve seat work.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
tsifreak

Post by tsifreak »

Im a little hesitant on using it on studs as you cant measure stretch like you can on a rod bolt. I did however notice 10 ft less on the torque wrench compared to ultra torque when stretching rod bolts. You can for sure feel less friction on the pull with CMD.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

yup..look closely at a national event.most comp and prostockers use it exclusively on valvetrain stuff.maybe others,but that's all I follow :D
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

I've been using it for 40 years and it is THE best for fastners, flat lifter cams etc.
tsifreak

Post by tsifreak »

Are you guys using this stuff on head and main studs? How do you figure final TQ? From what I have seen with it causing less friction than ARP lube..
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
CMD good stuff!

Post by kirkwoodken »

For guys like me that have older cars, CMD #3 also comes in 14 ounce canisters for grease gun usage. You will love squirting this stuff in old ball joints and king pins. $101.15 for a case of ten direct from CMD. If a 4 ounce tube will last a lifetime, think how long 14 ounces will last.
Last edited by kirkwoodken on Thu May 28, 2015 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirkwoodken
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Any special procedures when using CMD for cam break-in? Degrease the cam and apply?
Pro question poster.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Never tried it for cam break in
hope we get some answers from those with experience
First- try and dissolve in engine oil
if it will not dissolve (like whit grease ) DO NOT USE
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Here is a reprint of one of my older CMD #3 posts:

I started using CMD on all new stock Chevy rockers and never had a single failure with any valve spring loads. Didn't know Mike used it, but CNC Carl has mentioned it on SpeedTalk.
I've been buying it here for 50+ years:

email: sales@scottspecialtools.com
phone: 636-939-5771 / 800-638-7277
fax: 636-939-5793 / 800-532-1755

CMD #3 is good for just about ANY extreme pressure lube need: flat lifter cam breakin, pushrod ends, around valve keepers so they are easy to remove, poly rubber lube. I put it only on lifter bottoms so it does not deter spinning.

My other favorite anti-seize lube is Kal Gard Chain Cote moly chain lube:

"CHAIN KOTE is a specially developed lubricant for heavy duty roller chain applications. Chains have a unique requirement in that the lubricant must be very thin to penetrate the critical inner roller area, but thick enough to resist being thrown off at high speeds. CHAIN KOTE is the perfect answer. It has a thin, penetrating lubricant that carries a high concentration of Moly and a high viscosity bonding agent which bonds directly to the areas of maximum load and wear. CHAIN KOTE will not be thrown off your chain at high speeds when properly applied."

Part# 00717 | 13 oz.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0 ... ch&iscqry=

I've also used it very successfully as a cam breakin lubricant. It is a heavy moly lubricant with a great tenacity. It is hard to wash off with gasoline. Holds up well to oil splatter. My favorite chain lube for dirt biking; the ONLY lube I used that would still be in the master link after a day of riding through puddles. Also came in #1 in the Dirt Bike Magazine Chain Lube Shootout.

Mike's comments, as usual, touches on all the really important stuff: burnishing the threads and bolt/nut seats. That preps the bolt mating surfaces to hold torque and come apart properly, which happens at loads normal oils will not hold up to. Extreme pressure lubes are made especially for that purpose. Although the threads on the rod bolts are rolled, which leaves them with a very smooth finish, the female threads in the nuts and rods are made by cutting with taps, and have tooling ridges that need smoothing to get consistent holding power.
Kirkwoodken