Ohio Crank

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfitz16
Ohio Crank

Post by dfitz16 »

Any, thoughts? Cranks, rotating assemblies? Anyone use them for this application?
Pros
Cons
Application is 3300lb dirt stock car 2bbl with late model tires
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Ohio Crank

Post by Walter R. Malik »

You get what you pay for...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
dfitz16

Post by dfitz16 »

Not so true, I paid a lot for this internet connection
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

I have used a couple of their cranks, the machining was good but they were pretty heavy, 54lbs. for 3.48 crank. The rods were also decent, like what was said above you get what you pay for.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Is Speed-O-Motive still in business?

I ask because down through the years people would ask about both places and others would say, "You get what you pay for!...

Imho, I would use both places, BUT that said, I would have everything double-checked before assembly. Up to and including hand fitting a block for a stroker kit! Now for a, "balls to the wall", build I would spend the extra money and upgrade parts accordingly and this is what the guys are really saying.....

And fwiw, my old 406 that I "recently" parted company with, (along with my beater '80 C/10 P/U), had all PAW stuff in it. PAW is long gone now, but again everything was checked at assembly.

Hope this helps...

pdq67
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Speed O Motive did not survive the last recession
Richard Baumann just died RIP
Al Teague- Wife Jane was a partner they are fine
Her brother was Automotive Balancing- also gone they were a good source of matched rods etc
somehow I lost a bunch of Mopar clutches and flywheels and Cranks
dfitz16

Post by dfitz16 »

Thanks to those who provided constructive input. To simply state you get what you pay for, is just redundant and would rule out any post ever placed on Speedtalk.... Cause after all Speedtalk is free.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I have done work on 3 kits that came from Ohio. The quality on one was not good at all. The other 2, the machine work was decent but not class A. 2 balanced ok but one was suppose to be internal balance but the balance spot was not on the couterweight. Called customer and he came and picked up. Said he would return but did not hear from him again. Was told he got it balanced at another shop and they welded metal on light spot. Was cast crank. Crank broke later on in a mud bogg truck. Have no idea why but only reason I know is that one of my motors said record that night in that class and it was recorded. One assembly was "4340" crank and rods other 2 was cast. Have seen better but I also have seen much worse. I just dont see the risk.
reed
P R S

Post by P R S »

Have used several of them in customers engines,have their crank and h-beam rods in my own engine,434 with 14.5 compression.usually shift between 6800-7300 and have over a thousand passes on it in the last 5 years.might break tomorrow ,might not- been good so far and they have been really good to deal with.?..Victor
Penrod Racing Services -Walters,Oklahoma--580-591-1947
alteredu

Post by alteredu »

I have an Ohio Crank in a 468 BBC. I had to have it turned 10 under to get it straight, and it was hard to balance, but it has lived thru 3 rebuilds and I have over 700 runs on it. If I had it to do over again, I think I would buy a Manley or a Callies. I am building a 496 and from what I have seen lately Manley is putting out good cranks for the money. I had the same experience with a Scat crank. After I machined it, all good.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Same problems as Hank the Crank?