raised runner vs 23 degree, velocity

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
raised runner vs 23 degree, velocity

Post by Little Mouse »

Company in Australia using an Australian foundry makes a 225, 15 degree as cast 225 raised runner head really good exhaust flow numbers. But lets say on the intake side of things would this size runner be considerable better then say a 230 regular 23 degree head on its velocity. Without a pinched off area for the push rod and a little longer in length runner i would think its cross section overall might be smaller then the 23 degree head of the same size. With a 15 degree valve angle would the 2.15 size intake valve work ok in a smaller bore of say 4.040. I suspect the chamber may well be better shaped to fit at least a 4.125 size bore block. No experience with a raised runner head.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: raised runner vs 23 degree, velocity

Post by racear2865 »

Is this the cast iron head or the aluminum head. There is a raised runner in both
reed
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In general a raised runner intake port will have less changes in port area, and as such will have a better velocity profile for making more HP for a given amount of air flow if you where to do a Apples to Apples comparo!
I assume you are building for max power above 7k RPM with what I just posted?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

yes a 8,000 rpm small cu. build. If i'm going to spend money for a solid roller and shaft rockers why not just go to a small raised runner head. JE and most likely others make off the self 15 degree pistons. Been thinking lately with my CDL license all i will end up doing is get myself in trouble with any form of a street car.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Little Mouse wrote:Company in Australia using an Australian foundry makes a 225, 15 degree as cast 225 raised runner head really good exhaust flow numbers. But lets say on the intake side of things would this size runner be considerable better then say a 230 regular 23 degree head on its velocity. Without a pinched off area for the push rod and a little longer in length runner i would think its cross section overall might be smaller then the 23 degree head of the same size. With a 15 degree valve angle would the 2.15 size intake valve work ok in a smaller bore of say 4.040. I suspect the chamber may well be better shaped to fit at least a 4.125 size bore block. No experience with a raised runner head.
Are you talking about and comparing a "Raised Runner" 23 degree head like the Racer Pro...? Or, just the regular 23 degree Chevrolet head...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Just a regular 23 degree head along the lines of what people buy from AFR.