Chevy's old 30-30 cam spec's.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: Chevy's old 30-30 cam spec's.

Post by bigjoe1 »

A popular Racer Brown cam made 70 MORE pounds of torque at 3000 RPM than that cam, and the same top end power in a 327 Chevy, back in the late 1968

JOE SHERMAN RACING
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Joe,

Please post up Racer Brown's cam spec's for the one you mentioned so I can compare it to the old 30-30.

I try to file this stuff away for historical reference is why.

Thanks.

pdq67
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

Total lift was all they checked on the Lunati stocker cam. Modern stockers like I had run mid to low 10s now but you cant compare the motors or the "enhancements" today to yesterday. Totally different rules and transmissions now.
EthylCat
Pro
Pro

Post by EthylCat »

I had a guy bring me a 383 powered Chevelle one time made 0 vacuum and would not idle with less than 26* timing.

Cranking compression was 75 psi across the board.

Di some checking and the seat to seat times on the cam were outrageous! Turns out he had a 30-30 cam in there with hydraulic lifters.

He just spent 600+ dollars at another shop to buy and install one of those electric vacuum pumps on it to get the brakes to work.

He was broke so I put a TQ40 Erson in it and he was all good.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

EthylCat wrote:I had a guy bring me a 383 powered Chevelle one time made 0 vacuum and would not idle with less than 26* timing.

Di some checking and the seat to seat times on the cam were outrageous! Turns out he had a 30-30 cam in there with hydraulic lifters.

He just spent 600+ dollars at another shop to buy and install one of those electric vacuum pumps on it to get the brakes to work.

LOL. I got into a "discussion" at a car cruise with some old timer that INSISTED that it was A-OK to drop hydraulic lifters in an OEM solid lifter application if you wanted a quiet valvetrain and no lash adjustment. Said he used to do it all the time with Z/28s, L78s, etc. I tried explaining that it wouldn't work too well. I should have just let it be, but he was giving this advice to someone building an engine. After a while I just gave up arguing, as he didn't want to hear it. Hopefully the other guy didn't follow this wise advice. :roll: :lol:
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

"There are some people- if they don't know, you can't tell them." Yogi Berra

I knew a fellow who put roller lifters on his 30-30! I told him that wouldn't last long. It didn't last long.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

novadude wrote:
EthylCat wrote:I had a guy bring me a 383 powered Chevelle one time made 0 vacuum and would not idle with less than 26* timing.

LOL. I got into a "discussion" at a car cruise with some old timer that INSISTED that it was A-OK to drop hydraulic lifters in an OEM solid lifter application if you wanted a quiet valvetrain and no lash adjustment. Said he used to do it all the time with Z/28s, L78s, etc. I tried explaining that it wouldn't work too well. I should have just let it be, but he was giving this advice to someone building an engine. After a while I just gave up arguing, as he didn't want to hear it. Hopefully the other guy didn't follow this wise advice. :roll: :lol:
we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Another FWIW. I used to advance the 30-30 8 degrees and set the rockers at .035". Made a world of difference and never hurt anything that I know of. Big improvement in torque. Those were the days when I seldom checked anything with a degree wheel. I did quite a few of the early Z/28's this way, along with timing recurves. All with headers, of course. I thought they were peppy, even with 3.73 gears. The 4.88/2.2 cars would run in the mid 12's.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

"we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip"

Years ago, I bugged UDHarold about a small solid lifter cam for a 283 and he said to get one of his 274 hy-cams and run solids on it lashed down like this. he went on to say that the Ford small block guys did it a lot fine for circle-track use. Of course, I figure this is a while back.

pdq67
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

pdq67 wrote:"we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip"

Years ago, I bugged UDHarold about a small solid lifter cam for a 283 and he said to get one of his 274 hy-cams and run solids on it lashed down like this. he went on to say that the Ford small block guys did it a lot fine for circle-track use. Of course, I figure this is a while back.

pdq67
You will witness the reverse being done with hydraulic lifters on tight lash solid lifter profiles at the Engine Masters Contest this year ... guaranteed.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

pdq67 wrote:"we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip"

pdq67
with no take up ramps you get quicker opening of the valves
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

pdq67
I did this back in 58 when the 348 came out and no solid lifter engines were available from chevy
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

pamotorman wrote: we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip
Yeah, but I am talking about the other way around (hyd lifters on a factory solid cam), which would give some pretty outrageous seat-to-seat duration, as with the "no vacuum" 383 above.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

One of my friends installed a elgin 901 which is the eq of chevys mech can and he didnt know its mech. Installed hyd lifters. This was in a 307 motor. Had a very wicked idle and slow responce on lower rpm but above 2500 it screamed. Lifters didnt last long thou. He replaced it with a 6929 chevy cam from his 327. When i asked him ge said he didnt know and needed a cam so he used it.
cheers
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

novadude wrote:
pamotorman wrote: we used to put solid lifters on hyd cams set at .003/.005 and the cars did MPH better at the strip
Yeah, but I am talking about the other way around (hyd lifters on a factory solid cam), which would give some pretty outrageous seat-to-seat duration, as with the "no vacuum" 383 above.
Several yrs. back a fellow wanted me to look & a car he couldn't get to run, turned out to be hyd. lifters on a 30-30 cam. I told him to get a set of solids & set em to .030, problem solved.
Jim