The New NHRA Pro Stocker

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: The New NHRA Pro Stocker

Post by peejay »

If import drag racing is dead, then why have all the Mustangs and Grand Nationals at the track been replaced by Subarus and Evos and Cobalts and Focuses?

Rotaries sound a lot better anyway. Get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

[quote="cspeier"]I think it kicks ass..

Im just an old fart that loves to see racing innovation at its best.

It is kick ass to see a small displacement 4 cylinder make a ton of power and propel a car at speeds over 200 mph. And if this type of pro stock was the new ' norm', holy crap fellahs, Id freak out as to how far these things could be pushed too. Whats the limit with a small liter engine ? I cant wait to find out if it actually happens !

Bring it on !
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Peejay, we evidently go to different race tracks. LOL
I'm thinking you don't attend NHRA points races, or national events. That is where the Mustangs, Camaros & Challengers are dealing out azz kickings. Not sure where you go.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

MadBill wrote:According to this article, that's definitely not the direction they're headed in Pro Stock: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/nhra-pon ... -pro-stock
Annnd...for once the rumors are correct: http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory ... T#indextop
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Ed Wright wrote:Peejay, we evidently go to different race tracks. LOL
I'm thinking you don't attend NHRA points races, or national events. That is where the Mustangs, Camaros & Challengers are dealing out azz kickings. Not sure where you go.
I'm looking at what the enthusiasts are bringing to test and tune nights and bracket racing. I ignore "professional" racing, that has nothing to do with what is popular, it only has to do with what the ruleset is geared to and where the money is. The money fell out of pro import drag racing so you might not see that so much anymore but for the enthusaists they're still out there and gaining since the cool old American cars are so hard to find/expensive anymore. If I had a choice of buying an '05 STI or a '92 Mustang GT for $15k I'm going to buy the Subaru.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Our local test & tune nights don't show that either. A few imports show up, not many.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

At my local track,(PIR), they run every Friday and Saturday night. Until the economy tanked, hordes of import guys showed up around 9-10 PM. Racing went on until 1:00 AM. Some truly innovative thinking involved in some of the cars. Some of the turbo guys were using a sniff of NO2 to spool up the boost. When was the last time you saw a Roots blown VW Rabbit?
So much to do, so little time...
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I've seen lots of blown VW Rabbitts
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I meant supercharged. Are we talking about the same thing? A while back a bunch of guys showed up with all wheel drive turbo Mitsubishi cars. Engines built up and boost in the clouds. The majority went home with tow trucks and blown transmissions.
So much to do, so little time...
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

1972ho wrote:http://youtu.be/e-N4KLq0vQk This will be or should be our next move for pro stock not as loud but just as fast if not faster and it is a engine combo that all of the car manufactures build
why would anyone pay to watch that ?

they should take pro stock back to an iron factory dimension block , readily available cast alum intake , readily available cast alum head , one piece 1050 dominators x 2 , 14 x 32 slicks , stock bodies , 4 speed trans only, maybe a weight break system for frontal area of the car, a limit on the height of the intake scoop , these cars were more fun to watch in 1978 than they are now ,,, they have zero fan appeal , look like a squashed egg ,

pro mod needs to go to the circus
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

MadBill wrote:
MadBill wrote:According to this article, that's definitely not the direction they're headed in Pro Stock: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/nhra-pon ... -pro-stock
Annnd...for once the rumors are correct: http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory ... T#indextop
Interesting changes... Not really sure what they are hoping to achieve though. I can understand more access to the pits, and switching to efi, but what do they mean by throttle body injection? The injectors have to be in the throttle body? You can only have two throttle bodies on top of the tunnel ram but have the injectors in the port?

The removal of bonnet scoops is strange too, how will the manifolds / throttle bodies fit under the bonnet? Or can they use a cross ram manifold? I guess it could be different over there, but do they not look through the staging lanes and see 90% of the street V8s with bonnet scoops on them? Brand new factory muscle V8 sedans come out over here with bulges in the bonnet and Joe Averege loves them. Very interesting rule changes indeed.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Gonna be interesting come January 2016.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:
MadBill wrote:
Interesting changes... Not really sure what they are hoping to achieve though. I can understand more access to the pits, and switching to efi, but what do they mean by throttle body injection? The injectors have to be in the throttle body? You can only have two throttle bodies on top of the tunnel ram but have the injectors in the port?

The removal of bonnet scoops is strange too, how will the manifolds / throttle bodies fit under the bonnet? Or can they use a cross ram manifold? I guess it could be different over there, but do they not look through the staging lanes and see 90% of the street V8s with bonnet scoops on them? Brand new factory muscle V8 sedans come out over here with bulges in the bonnet and Joe Averege loves them. Very interesting rule changes indeed.
I agree too. What type of throttle body ? Injectors in the TB or at the cylinder head ? With no hood scoops, will that require a new low profile intake ? I cant imagine a tall tunnel ram with a couple of TB's mounted on top out in the airflow. Not sure what the new rules will allow anymore. I think the NHRA is trying to get the cars looking more like their OEM cousins again.

Remember the old saying................. At the race track on Sunday and in the showroom on Monday ? Is the sanctioning body looking at that marketing angle again ? Perhaps thats the ' angle ' behind the larger headers on the front glass ? So fans can identify what make of car it is ? Only thing I can figure out on that one folks.

And ............ as secretive as these pro stock guys are, Im wondering about the new rule thats effective now that cars have to be backed in so the engine is clearly seen by anyone ? The only thing Im really concerned about is about the ladder bar rule coming up in January. Yep, well get some interesting launches and possible front end damage along with it. Anyone wanna bet there will be some barrier collisions ? This is clearly a safety issue and it will be interesting as to what mods and changes the teams will make to re tune their chassis set ups.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Ladder bar rule?

You mean wheelie bar rule?

There is some confusion, as NHRA stated "TBI", which to most "car guys" means a throttle body on a plenum with injectors mounted on top, above the throttle bores and butterflies. If they really mean TBI, they're bigger idiots than I thought. They should tell the teams "you get up to eight (8) butterflies, no more than 3.0" in diameter, and they have to fit under the stock hood.

I'm all for making the cars look like their production counterparts. As far as I'm concerned, they should take the 2016 Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang, completely stock, and write the rules around the three of them (and tell the OE's "here are the rules, have a car to fit them, or don't play). Get rid of the jelly bean cars completely, require the cars to fit templates, and allow only OE body panels, with the exception of fiberglass hoods and trunk lids.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Alan Roehrich wrote:Ladder bar rule?

You mean wheelie bar rule?

There is some confusion, as NHRA stated "TBI", which to most "car guys" means a throttle body on a plenum with injectors mounted on top, above the throttle bores and butterflies. If they really mean TBI, they're bigger idiots than I thought. They should tell the teams "you get up to eight (8) butterflies, no more than 3.0" in diameter, and they have to fit under the stock hood.

I'm all for making the cars look like their production counterparts. As far as I'm concerned, they should take the 2016 Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang, completely stock, and write the rules around the three of them (and tell the OE's "here are the rules, have a car to fit them, or don't play). Get rid of the jelly bean cars completely, require the cars to fit templates, and allow only OE body panels, with the exception of fiberglass hoods and trunk lids.
Yeah , I meant wheelie bar ! OOPS !! I guess were gonna see more details about the new pro stock rules shortly. I think that any type of injection should be allowed , TBI or MPI . Its the intake manifold Im wondering about. Low profile or sticking out of the hood ?