OE SPARK PLUGS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shiftbyear
OE SPARK PLUGS

Post by shiftbyear »

I'm quite frustrated, I needed to replace the spark plugs on my Suburban and only 1 parts outlet carried the OE plugs which were a double platinum type. Many of the counter people suggested upgrading to the iridium plug which only cost $.50 more each. I have no idea if an iridium or copper tip would perform better than the OE. The trouble is once you install them you are stuck with them. For future reference, does anyone have any experience with switching from OE plugs. I always prefer first hand experience to sales people. Thanks
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: OE SPARK PLUGS

Post by Schurkey »

No platinum, single platinum, double platinum, Iridium...

...they ALL work. Some last longer than others. Iridium or platinum plugs in a carbed hot-rod makes no sense--but--the expensive plugs in a feedback fuel-injected modern vehicle are a wonderful way to get out from under the hood.

I pulled the original Iridium plugs out of my Trailblazer at 90,xxx miles, and they looked so perfect I adjusted the gaps, put fresh anti-seize on them and turned 'em right back in. I finally replaced them at 160,xxx miles; they looked worn had had very minor deposits--but no SES light or misfire codes, and I think they'd have gone ten or twenty thousand more miles. God Bless Iridium.

Can you imagine going back to 1972, and telling someone you hadn't changed plugs in your vehicle until you had a hundred-and-sixty thousand miles on 'em? They'd have thought you were bat-sh!t crazy.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Double platinum plugs are specified for wasted spark systems because one fires one way, the other fires the other way.
Going to copper, they'll all wear out prematurely, half of them a lot quicker than the other half.

Double platinums should last nearly for ever.....as said, just regap them and put them back in.

You also get a far better spark off a platinum plug than a copper one due to the needle point on it.
shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear »

I recently bought the Suburban, 150,000 miles on it. Removed what looks like an iridium type plug. Had a misfire code, but I see the plug wires are chaffed, they look like the origionals. I went with the OE plug since I won't be driving it much. What surprised me was the recommended plug gap on the tune up decal specified .060" gap. Never saw that before. Thanks for all the input everyone.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

60 thou gap never works long
I think there are threads on this with HEI