Camshaft Books

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Camshaft Books

Post by CamKing »

panic wrote: and Spintron has made toast of every single computer plot of valve train behavior done in those days.
Ever hear of an Op-Tron ?
Unlike the Spin-Tron, it actually looked at the valve motion on a running engine.
Just because the average joe didn't have the information, doesn't mean it wasn't out there.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

mike isnt that the same one that comp and im think isky has shown vidoes of camshaft and valvetrain going thur its motions
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

i have folks come in all the time with cheap made valve springs..first thing i tell them is you dont love your engine much..and then i pull up that vidoe of what a spring goes thur at 7000 rpm..and there like holy hell.that thing is going crazy..im like yep..now you want me to put tose 30.00 springs in your heads.to me as a engine builder..the two most under looked that things that people bring me is valve springs and push rods..most folks dont understand what they look like when you start loading them up with seat pressure.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

SLPRACINGENGINES wrote:mike isnt that the same one that comp and im think isky has shown vidoes of camshaft and valvetrain going thur its motions
Those were probably Spin-Trons.
The Op-tron was earlier, and much more expensive. I'm not sure how many even existed. GM had one, and they ran all our cams on it for the Turbo Buick V6 Indycar project, back in the early 80's.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Nomad,
Here is a list of "recommended cam reference books & papers" that were on Harvey Crane's website. Many of them are quite old and probably out of print a long time ago. Might be able to find them in a used bookstore that specializes in technical books.

CAMS, ELEMENTARY AND ADVANCED F.D. Furman First edition 1921, Published by Wiley & Sons

VALVE GEAR DESIGN Michael C. Turkish First edition 1946, Published by Eaton Manufacturing Co., Wilcos-Rich Division, Detroit, MI Printed at Waverly Press, Baltimore

NEW METHODS OF VALVE TRAIN DESIGN W.M. Dudley January 2, 1948 SAE Transactions

POLYDYNE CAM DESIGN D.A. Stoddart January 1953 Machine Design #25 February 1953 & March 1953

CAMS H.A. Rothbart 1956 Published by Wiley & Sons

CAM DESIGN HANDBOOK 2003 Harold A. Rothbart 23825 Anza Avenue #127 Torrance, CA 90505 Published by McGraw Hill
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.google.com/patents/US5515712 Who the heck was Henry Yunick. :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very interesting to check the patents he cites as well as those that subsequently cite his work.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

engineguyBill wrote:Nomad,
Here is a list of "recommended cam reference books & papers" that were on Harvey Crane's website. Many of them are quite old and probably out of print a long time ago. Might be able to find them in a used bookstore that specializes in technical books.

CAMS, ELEMENTARY AND ADVANCED F.D. Furman First edition 1921, Published by Wiley & Sons

VALVE GEAR DESIGN Michael C. Turkish First edition 1946, Published by Eaton Manufacturing Co., Wilcos-Rich Division, Detroit, MI Printed at Waverly Press, Baltimore

NEW METHODS OF VALVE TRAIN DESIGN W.M. Dudley January 2, 1948 SAE Transactions

POLYDYNE CAM DESIGN D.A. Stoddart January 1953 Machine Design #25 February 1953 & March 1953

CAMS H.A. Rothbart 1956 Published by Wiley & Sons

CAM DESIGN HANDBOOK 2003 Harold A. Rothbart 23825 Anza Avenue #127 Torrance, CA 90505 Published by McGraw Hill
Some of the older books from my automotive engineering collection have had their
copyrights expire and are now in the public domain. I have scanned some of them and
posted them on my web site: http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/library/library.htm

The crankshaft book by Angle and the camshaft book by Turkish might be of particular
interest.

dwilliams
I do not have a link but you can find --->CAM DESIGN HANDBOOK by Harold A. Rothbart on the web in PDF format to download.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
CarterHendricks

Post by CarterHendricks »

I've been reading Beast by Jade Gurss about the development of the Ilmor pushrod Indy engine and it describes how one of the first things
Ilmor built was a test rig to run the valve train. It got a lot of use. Ilmor learned that pushrods bend, alot :wink: . I can't find any photos of the
test rig.

Another thing described in the book is how the engine picked up power after Ilmor engineer Jeff Williams designed a gentler/smoother profile.

Jeff Williams has written a book, Introduction to Analytical Methods for Internal Combustion Engine Cam Mechanisms. There are a few pages
online at google books. The contents and intro are available on the publisher's website: http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4471-4564-6 . There is a chapter on camshaft torque interaction and another on camshaft dampers. Interesting.

And there is a fascinating thread on a Norton forum on a home made Spintron setup. Easier to do for a twin than a 4 or v8. But it can be done. The thread includes some high speed films of valve spring motion taken with an old [hint: cheap] Kodak Ektapro 4540 camera.

http://www.accessnorton.com/about-time- ... 21837.html
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

CarterHendricks wrote:I've been reading Beast by Jade Gurss about the development of the Ilmor pushrod Indy engine and it describes how one of the first things
Ilmor built was a test rig to run the valve train. It got a lot of use. Ilmor learned that pushrods bend, alot :wink: . I can't find any photos of the
test rig.
The valvetrain was the weak link on that engine. It was designed to fit into the area they had available, not to be stable.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

CamKing wrote:Does he want to learn about designing the lobe shapes, or about how the cam works in the engine, and how changing parameters(duration, lift, ICL....) changes how the engine runs ?
If one is new to automotive camshafts, pay careful attention to what Mike said. There are several areas to understand.

they are:
how does the cam work in an engine?
which camshaft parameters are correct for a given engine (and why)
effects of lobe design, again for specific engines
camshaft manufacturing processes.

The first is almost too simplistic it seems. But actually there is more than meets the eye.
The second is the most important, least understood and often determined by trial and error, and error, and error.
The third is complicted and mathematical. It includes valve train impact and vibrations.
The fourth is an area only a cam grinder really cares about.
cknight

Post by cknight »

There's also Don Hubbard's Camshaft Reference Handbook. Regards, Chase
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Valve Timing for Maximum Output by Ed Iskenderian
covers the 5 cycle, Super Le Geggera, etc
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

CamKing wrote:
SLPRACINGENGINES wrote:mike isnt that the same one that comp and im think isky has shown vidoes of camshaft and valvetrain going thur its motions
Those were probably Spin-Trons.
The Op-tron was earlier, and much more expensive. I'm not sure how many even existed. GM had one, and they ran all our cams on it for the Turbo Buick V6 Indycar project, back in the early 80's.
http://www.corvetteonline.com/features/ ... ll-howell/
Howell:“One of the things that I was privileged to help or to test the first samples of was the Optron where you could actually watch the motion of a valve at high speed. If you could image camshaft design and valve spring design and all those components were very difficult at high engine speeds because the only tool you had to look at what was going on was a strobe light. You could take a strobe light and you could at a valvetrain and you could see the valve springs surging and you could see the valve bounce but you couldn’t really develop a better system. The Optron came along about 1963, maybe ’64.”

CHC: Can you explain what an Optron is?

Howell: “What an Optron does is reflect the light off of a polished edge like on a valve spring cap or you can even do it if you cut away the head. You don’t have to have a running engine to cut away the head and you can actually watch the edge of valve. But it transfers that motion onto an oscilloscope. With this you can watch the electronic trace on an oscilloscope and you can watch the valve profile. It should follow the camshaft profile up and down but as soon as you get up to higher speeds it quits following the camshaft perfectly and it starts bouncing when it seats or lifting off the lobe when it goes over the nose of the camshaft. I ran the very first Optron that ever came to Chevrolet engineering back in the early 60’s and the room had to be absolutely dark, the thing was set up on a surveyors tripod and if you bumped it, you lost a half a day’s work trying to get it back lined up. We made the set up a lot better as years went by.”
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
tummler

Post by tummler »

Stan Weiss wrote:
I do not have a link but you can find --->CAM DESIGN HANDBOOK by Harold A. Rothbart on the web in PDF format to download.

Stan
The PDF of the book is on the first page of results if you google "Cam Design Handbook." Ordinarily, I would link to it, but the legality of the files appears to be questionable.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

tummler wrote:
Stan Weiss wrote:

Stan
The PDF of the book is on the first page of results if you google "Cam Design Handbook." Ordinarily, I would link to it, but the legality of the files appears to be questionable.
It might be a better course to offer to help Mr. Williams in completing the scanning of Turkish.

http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/library/library.htm