"Durasurf" metal treatment process

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: "Durasurf" metal treatment process

Post by cgarb »

Maybe it was the Orange County's first attempt at a custom "tribute bike"....we painted a custom emblem on the catalog bought gas tank and tack welded fancy cnc plasma cut out logos on the frame rail and chromed them...awesome.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:26 pm Probably not applicable, but I remember reading about guys clamping engine parts like heads, cranks, blocks and such to a great big adjustable vibrating table and "shaking" hell out of them to stress relieve them. They would tune the vibration frequencies to do this....

Just food for thought.

pdq67
That was the MetalAx table. I never figured out why they just didn't put them on the washing machine.

I remember when Childs & Albert bought one. Made for great storage for anything they were too lazy to put away.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

For those looking either for more insight re the Met-Lax process (including words from Lockheed and the University of California) or for confirmation of their "Voodoo!" assessment:
http://www.meta-lax.com/Home/Technology/technology.html
http://www.bonal.com/about/history.html
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
seattle smitty

Post by seattle smitty »

I wonder why Childs & Albert didn't like their shaker table. Joe Mondello certainly was impressed with his:

http://www.mondello.com/page23.html

Thanks for the links. The pulsed-puddle arc welding is interesting. Sounds similar to a product called TIP TIG, which uses the wire to "stir up" the pulle as it goes. It would seem to beat manual peening, but the expense of this high tech gear would seem hard to justify for any but a big -time professional racing operation. Shot peening, cryo, and shaker treatment services are already steep (but so are broken parts).
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Many years ago, we were involved with professional go-kart racing. The kart chassis tubes were welded but not stress relieved. After half a season of racing the kart frames took on a decidedly different shape than they were when new.
The vibrations produced on the race track served to relax the weld stresses and change the shape.

Some kart mfgs made use of shaker tables to stress relieve the kart tubes, (and then straighten them) before final assembly. Those stress relieved chassis would run for several years without getting out of shape.

There are white papers that question just how smooth a finish will produce the lowest friction. There is some optimum surface finish that reduces lubricated friction the most. Damned if I can find the tech papers when I need them.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 pm ...
There are white papers that question just how smooth a finish will produce the lowest friction. There is some optimum surface finish that reduces lubricated friction the most. Damned if I can find the tech papers when I need them.
Free full text article:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Da ... ion_detail
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!