cross fire injection ???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

cross fire injection ???

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Cross fire injection with 2, 2 barrel tbi units ?
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Re: cross fire injection ???

Post by chevyfreak »

levisnteeshirt wrote:Cross fire injection with 2, 2 barrel tbi units ?
As far i know yes. Based on old z28 crossram. But runners tiny. Was replaced by TPI,.
I was actually looking at buying one but the seller wanted to sell the whole setup with dizzy and controller. I was more after manifold but once i saw them inside bit small for what i was planning..
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

They are small, really wake up after extrude honing. They are two 1bl TBI.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Lots of low end, low profile there are uses
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Ah. Sorry. My bad. I was mistaken
Will post some pics that i got when i did some searching back then.
Chevythunder.com has some info on them and there is a couple of other websites on them.
chevyfreak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowtie for life
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Back in the day it had a less than sterling reputation, mostly I believe due to AFR maldistribution. A number of GM Engineers called it the Cease Fire...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Crossfire injection is not based on the z28 crossram. The crossfire has much smaller runner cross section. It has two - one barrel throttle bodies. Oversized throttle bodies are available. Base needs porting for a decent motor. Renegade builds a much improved manifold for crossfire injection. I actually built a custom top for one of these years ago. I was planning on using two 350 throttle bodies. I raised the plenum about an inch. I wound up selling it as an incompleted project.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Thats what i was thinking, 2, 2bl 350 tbi units, the intake can be ported ,,, i picked up a vortec efi intake , wonder how 2 mounted on it would do , make a flat plate for the top
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I modified the stock top and it did not weld great and warped. I would use a 1/2" plate of aluminum to reduce warping and have enough material to bolt the throttle bodies to. You may be able to get away with a 3/8 thick top. 350 throttle bodies flow about 500 cfm and can support at the outside 300hp I believe. The bottom of the intake has small cross sectional runners that would be hard pressed to flow anywhere near 1000cfm.
631-816-4911
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

MadBill wrote:Back in the day it had a less than sterling reputation, mostly I believe due to AFR maldistribution. A number of GM Engineers called it the Cease Fire...
Bill, that is still a good name for it. :D
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Dont waste your time with it
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

levisnteeshirt wrote:Thats what i was thinking, 2, 2bl 350 tbi units, the intake can be ported ,,, i picked up a vortec efi intake , wonder how 2 mounted on it would do , make a flat plate for the top
I missed this yesterday. The vortec base IS a cross ram and has a very good shape. I have thought of the same mod. The vortec base will flow some serious air with some work. Be sure to plug the nozzle holes! If you decide to build it please take pictures and share! Thanks. Charlie
631-816-4911
Twin_Turbo

Post by Twin_Turbo »

Or just get an SY1, STR10 or offy crossram and start from there. Has been done quite a few times in the past.
Sadly the old crossfire injection site which I used to run decades ago is long gone and I don't think a wholte lot of info survived. Grumpy has accumulated most of what has been done through the years

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/in ... -tips.303/

I didn't ready through it all but not sure if the vortec port FI base is in there, I do know someone was working on it back then, wanting to do exactly that...use the crossram vortec base as a starting point for a custom build.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Twin_Turbo wrote:Or just get an SY1, STR10 or offy crossram and start from there. Has been done quite a few times in the past.
Sadly the old crossfire injection site which I used to run decades ago is long gone and I don't think a wholte lot of info survived. Grumpy has accumulated most of what has been done through the years

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/in ... -tips.303/

I didn't ready through it all but not sure if the vortec port FI base is in there, I do know someone was working on it back then, wanting to do exactly that...use the crossram vortec base as a starting point for a custom build.
YEP ... I bought a 1984 Corvette 25 years ago and used an Offy cross-ram, dual quad manifold. Then machined and sleeved a pair of 1 bore throttle bodies to accept Quadrajet 2 1/4" secondary throttle plates with adapters on the carb pads.
I got it to run quite good but, not near good enough to compete with better designed systems.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.