Ball flange collector sealant?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Ball flange collector sealant?

Post by travis »

What can I use to seal a less than perfect ball flange collector to reducer connection?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Ball flange collector sealant?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
claysmoker

Post by claysmoker »

I've had good success with the Ultra Copper.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Not sure if it would help, but here goes : I've been looking at ways to solve leaking header collectors as well. I ended up buying a connection locally. It looks like the ball and flange type, except that it has a bicone between 2 flanged pipes. The piece originally came only in SS and I have a steel collector so I had to fabed a piece of pipe that would fit against the conical side of the bicone. As you can imagine and due to the type of tools I had available this was never perfectly leakfree. Since both pipes of this piece are slip over 3" types, I fit a regular 3" pipe inside the joint, so that the gasses would not come in direct contact with the joint.
Adam65

Post by Adam65 »

Best ones I've seen are the Flowmaster ball & socket collectors. Much thicker steel than any header mfr I've seen use. Only 2-bolt flange, but it is so beefy that I'm not sure how you could bend it. Huge improvement over the garbage 3-bolt ball & socket collectors that Hedman and most other headers come with. If you can, just cut off your old ones and spend the $100 on these.