Guru
Guru

LSx style valves in Gen 1 sbc head

Post by cv67 »

Is it worth it #1

Aside from guides and valves etc sure some of you have done this
Worth it or not?

Not that Im seriously considering it just curious
Heads in question have a great exh port, int port with 2.02 valve goes in the 290s...not bad but you know with todays stuff...dont want the port as a whole bigger (already 230 on a sbc) just larger valve/blend. think i know the answer here wanted to hear from the pros though
BowtieNut
Re: LSx style valves in Gen 1 sbc head

Post by BowtieNut »

If your after a lighter valve i would say its cheaper to buy 8 hollow stem 11/32 intake valves than it would be to have guides installed and the valvejob touched up for the 8mm valves. Other than the weight difference i dont see much benefit from the lsx valves.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I've done it quite a few times now, in both aftermarket SS valve + 1.300 double PAC spring combos and OEM valves plus beehive springs, significant amount of weight savings.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

For cost of installing guides and remachining, i see no advantage. Unless maybe doing a hyd roller on a big inch sbc that uses 2.125-2.165" valve where you can take ls3 light weight valves and use them isntead of buying a solid 11/32 valve of same size. Significant weight diff. But i use standard 2.100" valves 11/32 and still handle 7200 rpm with hyd roller with boost. Proper lobe and spring make the difference