Anybody try a Jasper stock rebuilt engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Anybody try a Jasper stock rebuilt engine?

Post by JoePorting »

My 2001 5.3 Silverado engine has 385k miles on it and burns around 3 quarts of oil a month, so I was looking for a good stock rebuilt engine company. Jasper looks really good on paper and charges $2700 for a 5.3 long block, so I was interested to see if anyone has any feedback on these engines. I'm not looking for anything top fuel. Just a good rebuilt motor that will last another 200k miles.
Joe Facciano
user-612937456

Re: Anybody try a Jasper stock rebuilt engine?

Post by user-612937456 »

I have been selling and installing them for over 25 years. literally hundreds of there units with very few warranty issues. when I have had any warranty issues they have been a dream to deal with. They pay really good and lean toward pleasing the customer if there is any question. I remember one particular issue when my rep had a S10 towed to me from another shop. it was a 4.3 transmission failure for the third time during the reinstall I found the cooler stopped up where it had a new radiator installed with the trans cooler hose installed pushed over the little red push on dust cover LOL. I called them and told them it wasn't there fault and I didn't think they are responsible and the told me that it wasn't the customers fault and they had put there faith in the shop as an installer so they paid the claim with no questions ask. I have been sold on jasper ever since.

The negative is they are a little pricy You could probably do the job yourself in the neighborhood of $1200-1500 parts and machine work. How much is your labor worth? The most critical job on the engine is oil pump alignment other than this the rest of the assembly work is just standard assembly practice on any other common engine.

There are probably a lot of parts that you can re-qualify on the 5.3's to cut the money down. This power plant will probably Have very little wear on the cylinders and crankshaft and the camshaft I have had several 200-300k engines that I just freshened up with new lifters, bearings, oil pump, timing chain, and rings. Only machine work was a good cross hatch, block cleaning, and valve job. Deck and line bore checked good especially for a stock build.
Roadknee

Post by Roadknee »

A buddy of mine had a GM 4.3 V-6 installed in his ski boat 3 years ago. It has been absolutely flawless. Quiet, great oil pressure, no smoke, smooth, plenty of power. When it was fresh he spent some time on the water looking at plugs to dial in the carb jetting. Plugs have been completely dry since day one. It has never burned a drop of oil. Keep in mind boats run under a lot more load than a car engine and he occasionally enjoys WOT bursts to 5,000 rpm. Again, zero issues.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

OTOH, you could buy a good used engine with around 100k miles for $1000 w/wty
....and get a whole bunch of miles out of it.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

JoePorting wrote:...burns around 3 quarts of oil a month,
Leak/s?
How many miles in a month and is 3 sudden or gradually?
It could have a lot more miles still if putting in a qt every 2-3 gasoline fill-ups isn't absurd or any where near $2700. Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/jasperengines
greg

Post by greg »

i use 1 qt every 2,ooo miles,300,000 onna sonoma 02,v6,vortec,singlecab longbed still lotsa power an iam very impressed with this lil work truck,same trans i put a hughes oilpan trans 7 qts ,waterpump,alt,changed belts 1 time,radiator 1 time,mostly freeway miles,3 fuelpumps which go in gas tank,i cut a hole in bed for convence of changen fuel pumps in future,i was thinken of a gm motor an trans,wen time comes,neva heard of jasper,what i wud really like to do is put a 350 in it hahhaaa...i know theres a kit for v8 inna sonoma gmc or s10 wateva same truck... :D ,neat lil truck i want to keep it....
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Yeah but I wouldn't like it because m most cases you lose the AC condenser housing was a v8 conversion
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

I'm sure you have already made your purchase since this thread is over 2 months old, but I don't visit this forum very often & I just saw this.

I have installed numerous Jasper long blocks over the last 25+ years, & even more of their automatic transmissions. As good as I believe their engines to be, I believe their transmissions are even better. I've never had a failure of any kind on the trannys, & the vehicles which have received them are either still in service in our fleet, or have been sold.

I did have one issue with an engine about 25 years ago, which was one of the first I had purchased from them. It was a 1977 Firebird, which was factory equipped with an oddball Buick V-6 engine. The Jasper replacement long block ran fine, but had a BAD low-frequency vibration, like when the keyway slot breaks on the harmonic balancer of an externally balanced engine & the balancer rotates on the crank snout. I tried everything in the world & couldn't get rid of it.

I gave up & turned it over to a local shop that did Jasper warranty work. I told them I thought it might have had the wrong crankshaft installed. (Even fire in an odd fire engine). They tried everything under the moon (even nonsensical things like replacing the distributor, rebuilding the carb??), & they eventually pulled the engine & sent it back to Jasper's build facility in Indiana. They kept the car almost a year. The customer ended up getting mad at them & taking the car back (still vibrating) & sold it as is.

Other than that, I've never had one issue with their long blocks. They always run smooth & make good power, good oil pressure, no leaks & they last.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I was going to get a Jasper motor in December, but then my motor started running better again. I just ran a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner through it and it runs a lot better and burns only about 2 quarts of oil a month. I'm still getting lean codes about every week, so maybe I'll try a few more bottles of fuel injection cleaner to see if that helps. The fuel pump is only 6 months old along with the fuel filter. Maybe I have an intake manifold leak. Up to 390,000 miles now.
Joe Facciano
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Joe, how old are your O2 sensors? As they degrade they tell the computer that you are leaner than you are, so, computer adds fuel. How's your gas mileage?

Injector cleaner can clean the 02 sensors a bit but most are snake oil. The BG 2 stage service works well and I've seen wonders in gas mileage and a bit of power since it does clean a bit off the back side of the intake valve. As far as OP, I have never tried a Jasper engine but I have heard similar good things that others have posted.

Another things that helps, if it's not too far gone, is to run a few tanks of PREMIUM texaco or chevron with techron. The stuff does work.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Post by MileHighMan »

JoePorting wrote:My 2001 5.3 Silverado engine has 385k miles on it and burns around 3 quarts of oil a month, so I was looking for a good stock rebuilt engine company. Jasper looks really good on paper and charges $2700 for a 5.3 long block, so I was interested to see if anyone has any feedback on these engines. I'm not looking for anything top fuel. Just a good rebuilt motor that will last another 200k miles.

Those engines have an issue with carbon/crud buildup in the valve covers that cause excessive oil consumption and possible smoke.....You might try cleaning or replacing them first before condemning that engine to a rebuild or replacement...FYI,,,Dorman sells them aftermarket through Autozone,,Oreilly,,or any parts chain that sells the Dorman line...Dan..
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

JoePorting wrote:I was going to get a Jasper motor in December, but then my motor started running better again. I just ran a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner through it and it runs a lot better and burns only about 2 quarts of oil a month. I'm still getting lean codes about every week, so maybe I'll try a few more bottles of fuel injection cleaner to see if that helps. The fuel pump is only 6 months old along with the fuel filter. Maybe I have an intake manifold leak. Up to 390,000 miles now.
Check for a broken vacuum lines maybe near the battery area of the engine compartment could be the O2 sensors but I usually find a vacuum leak as the problem for lean codes
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Unless a HP build, I'd go for a good low mileage oem engine.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

turdwilly wrote: They kept the car almost a year. The customer ended up getting mad at them & taking the car back (still vibrating) & sold it as is.
I'd be mad too, a year is a long time to go w/o a vehicle if you don't have another(assuming we are talking about an individual and not a company). He prob bought a new one in that time and if the engine had been replaced he wouldn't of had too.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

BOOT wrote:
turdwilly wrote: They kept the car almost a year. The customer ended up getting mad at them & taking the car back (still vibrating) & sold it as is.
I'd be mad too, a year is a long time to go w/o a vehicle if you don't have another(assuming we are talking about an individual and not a company). He prob bought a new one in that time and if the engine had been replaced he wouldn't of had too.
Yes I would have been mad too. The customer was actually a friend of mine & a coworker. I took the job as side work. I tried everything I could think of to fix it myself but I finally gave up after tying up my driveway for a couple of weeks, & I didn't charge him anything for the extra time I put in on it. The shop he took it too that kept it a year also scratched his quarter panel really badly, figured they ran a tool box down it or something. They denied it. That's when he blew up on them & took the car back. That was a weird one. I will never know what was causing the vibration.