General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: intake manifold for 400 Chevy ?

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

But this is truly a daily driver

I would have been... with the 4.30 gears.... 4400 lbs !!!! Make that 4.56 gears. Does that thing really weight that much?
Thats a Street car.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What do you need a truck for now? take the Trunk LID off the Impala. Now you got a Pick up truck.
It will be #4400 minus the trunk lid.... Keep taking stuff off it. (Bumper shocks Door guard beams etc)
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The amazing thing is that they weigh about a half ton less than the 1976- models. 2200 lb front, 2000 lb rear.
So much to do, so little time...
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

I like the crane 272/284 that your going to use in your truck as well rfoll.

Before the quest for more horsepower began my 400 was a real mild near stock engine. It might have been 300 hp but with pocket ported 1.94/1.5 valve 882 heads it had 8.5:1 compression and a Crane 260/272 cam 427/454 lift it was an absolute stump puller torque monster !! It had a stock touched up GM aluminum intake and a Q-Jet and ran really well for what it was. Which of course was nothing to brag about :lol: but still it was a really great engine !
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

408 Nova wrote:A 400 runs like a dog with a cam on a 112 LCA. Put those same lobes on a 105-106 LSA, and the motor will be a lot stronger, with the same streetability.
I couldn't agree more. The only reason I can see a 112 LSA cam in a 400 is for mileage (torque and power be damned) or some serious boost or nitrous. Otherwise, they're pigs compared to a ~106.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

RevTheory wrote:
408 Nova wrote:A 400 runs like a dog with a cam on a 112 LCA. Put those same lobes on a 105-106 LSA, and the motor will be a lot stronger, with the same streetability.
I couldn't agree more. The only reason I can see a 112 LSA cam in a 400 is for mileage (torque and power be damned) or some serious boost or nitrous. Otherwise, they're pigs compared to a ~106.
Exactly, gas mileage is the primary pursuit for the truck application. It will produce as much power as I need by accident. I have another cam I am tempted to try, 220/220, 490/490, 114 LSA hyd roller. Does anyone think this would produce better economy? For my application, I don't think the high lift is necessary, but it was a cheap unknown purchase. Again, power output is will be adequate regardless. Monza, like your previous engine, This one is a stock 400. it has a very straight standard bore and the pistons are the ones without the bevel at the outside edge. As a standard bore, I'm not worried about the short rods wearing out the bore. I found another just like it recently with very few miles on it for $200. I might try a different recipe for that one. "Stump puller' is putting it mildly, it was difficult to get it out of an intersection without spinning the tires. I put the 2.73 gears in before I changed back to a smaller, (Vortec), engine. The car would top 100 mph in second gear. It would have been interesting to see what the top speed was.
Last edited by rfoll on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnwesley

Post by Johnwesley »

It would help mileage especially with a twin turbo setup. Eco boost Chevy ;)
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Johnwesley wrote:It would help mileage especially with a twin turbo setup. Eco boost Chevy ;)
Spending that kind of money to get better mileage is counterproductive. I'm building these engines for around $500, both the 400 and the
vortec engine.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

rfoll wrote:
RevTheory wrote:
Exactly, gas mileage is the primary pursuit for the truck application. It will produce as much power as I need by accident. I have another cam I am tempted to try, 220/220, 490/490, 114 LSA hyd roller. Does anyone think this would produce better economy? For my application, I don't think the high lift is necessary, but it was a cheap unknown purchase. Again, power output is will be adequate regardless. Monza, like your previous engine, This one is a stock 400. it has a very straight standard bore and the pistons are the ones without the bevel at the outside edge. As a standard bore, I'm not worried about the short rods wearing out the bore. I found another just like it recently with very few miles on it for $200. I might try a different recipe for that one. "Stump puller' is putting it mildly, it was difficult to get it out of an intersection without spinning the tires. I put the 2.73 gears in before I changed back to a smaller, (Vortec), engine. The car would top 100 mph in second gear. It would have been interesting to see what the top speed was.
The one issue I would see is the loss of low end tq with a 114LSA so it requires more throttle input to propel the vehicle...Kind of like putting a 6cylinder in a full size truck.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

I choose the 225/231 112 lsa camshaft for my engine because I wanted a mild street engine with broad powerband and it has to run on pump gas with 10.5 compression. Hopefully it won't be a total dog ! However I find it hard to believe that only lsa itself makes or brakes the engine combo.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

My understanding is the narrower LSA helps feed a severely under-valved engine, such as the 400 inch sbc. The 112 lsa will help the brakes, but I had no problems with my 224/230/110 lsa. Again, it is a 2 ton car. With higher compression, you would have better vacuum than I did. The extra overlap will help stave off pinging.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What happebs at wot is not the same as what happens at part throttle..
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I remember reading "mostly street", which means part throttle.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I suppose my mostly street deal won't work very good with 107 lsa & a single plane. #-o :D
Jim
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:But this is truly a daily driver

I would have been... with the 4.30 gears.... 4400 lbs !!!! Make that 4.56 gears. Does that thing really weight that much?
That's a Street car.
This was my drive inro Portland this morning. Do you think this looks like the kind of road where you would want 4.56 gears and a lot of torque. You live in Ontario, where there is real winter weather. Tell me you have something reasonable for winter. Although I live in the banana belt of western Oregon, I learned to drive in central NY. No one drove hot rods in the winter there, they drove real street cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.