General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: GRUMPY'S TOY 66 NOVA L-79 ?

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Tuner wrote:
piston guy wrote:Jenkins knew more about Holley carbs than the Holley engineers! He made the FIRST double pumper by joining two cut in half four barrel primary sides with plates , pop rivets and epoxy. People laughed until it flew down the track .
LOL I wonder what Ralph Johnson and Smokey Yunick would have to say about that? Those three (Ralph, Smokey and Grumpy) were not the only ones. I wonder if Ralph had a knickname too.
Certainly!

Here at this forum we're fortunate to have a few SHARP carb guys, like you sir!
=D>
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: GRUMPY'S TOY 66 NOVA L-79 ?

Post by Truckedup »

A good friend bought a new L79 Chevy 2 in 1966. It was a close ratio 4 speed with 3.73 gears. Stock as it came from the dealer it was about as quick as a 360 HP 396 Chevelle, ...He ran at Englishtown with the 3.73 gears and hard 7 inch slicks. It was a mid week time trials so they didn't hassle about a scatter shield. The car ran 13.8 stock all the way...I believe he was shifting at around 6200 rpm or so ..Jenkins was at the track that night so we walked over to check his car while he was doing something under the hood. Both of us were expecting magic but the only thing we saw was a Ford ignition coil... We both got drafted later that summer....after getting out his L79 started running poorly....No broken valve springs but a few cam lobes went flat.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire