Ford 4V DOHC 4.6 Camshafts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Ford 4V DOHC 4.6 Camshafts

Post by CGT »

I am trying to help a friend with some camshafts for his 2003 Cobra. The long block is stock, but it no longer supercharged. It has a 74mm turbo on it and is currently making 700rwhp and 600rwt on 18lbs of boost. We are wondering if the expense of changing camshafts would be worthwhile? The stock cams are 184 deg@.050/.370 lift intake, 196 deg@.050/.370 exhaust. I'm not sure on the centerlines as installed from Ford. Anyone here have any experience with these things? Camshafts and related or an expensive and time consuming endeavor on this platform. Trying to gauge the possible hp return on investment. Any tips are advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chad
Invasivecoyote
Re: Ford 4V DOHC 4.6 Camshafts

Post by Invasivecoyote »

I just installed a new set of cams on the gf mustang. She wants a new car and I wanted a new mustang to rape. It's a 02 4.6 with 4 vavle. After I installed the cams and paid for dyno time it was easy 45hp increase. But keep in mind I installed new springs, and blended the bowl/ port and eliminated casting flash. The car was also 100% stock before I got my hands on it. I'm going to go out and say that 1/3 hp of the gains is due to new cams. As far as the set up your working on; the cost to result would be negligible. Almost anywhere you go is a grand on cams for these 4 cam engines 4.6/ 5.4. The only reason I've started to play with the newer 4.6 motor is wider range of tuning and Less moving parts. Just do some math divide budget cost by projected hp gain to justify this. As far as time consumption it took me 8 hours from start to finish and a cool temper. The vavle cover opposite the brake booster is a bitch to get off and on.