My 427W dual quad project up and running.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
My 427W dual quad project up and running.

Post by 427dart »

Got a chance to get a short road test in between winter storms and so far I have the idle and cruise A/F ratios where I like.
However another hopefully warm break will return for more tuning in mid and full power ranges.
I will need to move up to a 4 inch cowl hood scoop height in place of the 3 inch I have now. Don't want to give up any height on my 1.5 inch carb spacers and could use the extra height anyway.
Stared out with 64 jets in the primary of both carbs with the stock 1850 secondary metering plates and 6.5 PV.
The off idle was a bit fat so screwed in some .076 Idle Air Bleeds in primary which got me in the 13.4 to 13.7 zone at low speed cruise.
Next test will be with vacuum gauge and A/F meter to plot out final jet and PV setup.
https://youtu.be/L444_FCHNLc
140Air
Guru
Guru
Re: My 427W dual quad project up and running.

Post by 140Air »

427dart wrote:Got a chance to get a short road test in between winter storms....c
Looks great. Congrats. I like the jacked up hood.
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

looks like a fun ride for sure. The main thing that jumps out to me is the rubber fuel line and plastic fuel filter. Those have no place on any vehicle IMHO, but surely not in a high performance street car. I hope you're planning on replacing that stuff before you take to out on the street. Be safe, have fun...

TA
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Looks great! Sounds awesome!
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

thedynoguy wrote:looks like a fun ride for sure. The main thing that jumps out to me is the rubber fuel line and plastic fuel filter. Those have no place on any vehicle IMHO, but surely not in a high performance street car. I hope you're planning on replacing that stuff before you take to out on the street. Be safe, have fun...

TA
The plastic fuel filter you see is NOT being used in the fuel system. It is part of my PCV system.
The PCV flow is pulled into the large oil/air separator you see on right fender and then the plastic filter stops anything else and also gives me a visual as to how it's working.
The rubber fuel lines are kept as short as possible from the fuel log only and current 427 FE dual quad setups still use that setup other than full race applications. All the other fuel line is braided hose and I keep a check on it and replace when needed.
I may replace the rubber hose junctions later with braided line but this was a quick way to get the system up and running.