Re: Flat tappet, pump fuel holden - 582hp

Post by user-23911 »

Torana.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

KnightEngines wrote:Carnut - it's not actually polished, that's an 80 grit sanding roll finish, feels quite coarse if you run a finger over it. I get that satin finish on it with a chunk of 6mm steel rod with a slot cut in the end & chunk of scotchbrite in the slot in the grinder, a squirt of WD40 & go over the ports quickly - takes 10 minutes & gives that nice consistant satin finish - it's just a cosmetic thing.

GM did own holden, you can see some of the tech from the holden engine in the LS engines.

IMHO the holden 304's are just about the best 'old tech' small blocks around, they have their downsides, but the basics are there to make very good power with a lot of factory parts.
Those ports looked really top notch. I am glad/impressed to hear you used 80 grit emery to finish the ports and the scotch bright move just adds that 'pro finished' look
great work.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Barry Burch
Pro
Pro

Post by Barry Burch »

The headers got my attention. Very cool.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

quote :- MHO the holden 304's are just about the best 'old tech' small blocks around, they have their downsides, but the basics are there to make very good power with a lot of factory parts.

Yes that Holden V8 was good enough for Larry Perkins to get it banned as it wasted the Chevy and Ford powered Super Tourers'.

Wish they had a series like that in the US - that's the ultimate road race sedans.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

awesome.. money well spent
Long Island, NY
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yes that Holden V8 was good enough for Larry Perkins to get it banned as it wasted the Chevy and Ford powered Super Tourers'.
It's gone to hell now, become like nascar over there, pretty much everything is controlled & the cars bear very little semblance to the cars they're based on. They don't even run factory engine designs.
The heyday was when fords ran clevos, holdens ran holdens & the cars had factory underpinnings & driveline.

PS - thanks for the kind comments.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

First time out at the strip for this, only 1 good pass as we were chasing a wierd lean missfire - turns out the cowl induction was messing with the carb, ripped it off & car picked up 8mph & .4 sec!
By then it was late so just 1 pass with it running right, 10.29 @ 130mph.
Conditions were crap, strong head wind that was costing other guys 3-4mph & .1-.2secs.
With better conditions & some better data to tweak it a bit methinks it's got a flat 10 or maybe even a 9.9x in it on pump fuel.
We still have the option of e85 or race fuel if that 9 proves elusive.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Nice post; great work. =D>
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Impressive! Great results as usual.
Great looking car as well!
Cheers
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Great work mate. I love big hp all iron factory type stuff. Way more of an 'achievement' than just bolting catalogue parts together. That hatch back will be a handfull on the street, still all stock type suspension ?
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yeah, suspension mounting points all stock etc, has a little work done (boxed arms etc) but nothing major.

Hooks pretty good!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

KnightEngines wrote:Yeah, suspension mounting points all stock etc, has a little work done (boxed arms etc) but nothing major.

Hooks pretty good!
Yeah thats cool.
Although I've never liked the steering feel (if thats what you can call it :lol: ) on any of the toranas, even the UV geometery really didnt help. BUT for straight lines- who cares! Thats a tough little machine.
Craig.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Good time! Some of the cold air induction systems use deflectors so that the carb gets cold air still, but not turbulent air. Still worth trying to get the cowl air working because the cold air is 'free hp'.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Fantastic job.

FWIW, I've never had good fuel/air metering results using that style air filter, but the car speaks for itself.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.