DSS 427 SB Ford build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: DSS 427 SB Ford build

Post by rfoll »

All of this discussion in generic terms of high vs mid range is fine, but in reality, when you build an engine, you tailor it to what car it is going in, and what it is going to be used for. This engine is a Ford, and it could end up in a '66 Mustang or Falcon. It could also end up in a F250 4X4 .
So much to do, so little time...
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

rfoll wrote:All of this discussion in generic terms of high vs mid range is fine, but in reality, when you build an engine, you tailor it to what car it is going in, and what it is going to be used for. This engine is a Ford, and it could end up in a '66 Mustang or Falcon. It could also end up in a F250 4X4 .
true.. but doesn't that go without saying? it seems doubtful that DV would be installing this motor in a pickup truck with a popup camper on back. Course, can you imagine the look on that late model Camaro owners face when he drag races them up a hill in a 4x4 pickup? Priceless! :lol:

either way, with 600 ft/lbs of midrange power on tap.. one vehicle will just smoke the tires a little easier than the other one is all. Especially if he puts it in 4 wheel drive mode. :)
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Got to visit at Chris Straub’s shop on Friday (22nd April) and was rather surprised at the extent of his operation. It seemed to me to be a very much ‘in the background deal. I was surprise to see how many products he made for big name companies. The best part of the visit though was that we got to talk cams and valve trains.
Although we had settled on event timing a few weeks back Chris held off with the actual profiles to be used as some new Glen Steyers profiles were just being finished off. Here’s the intake/exhaust profiles that will be used in the 427.
Lobe lifts 0.375/0.340
Duration at 0.004:- 302/309
Duration at 0.006:- 297/304
Duration at 0.050:- 240/248
Duration at 0.200:- 160/158
LCA 105
Intake Centerline:- To be set up on dyno with Jesel adjustable belt drive.
So that those of us who are more used to seeing the seat duration quoted at 0.006 I have included both the 0.004 that Glen Steyers uses and the 0.006 used by most of the industry.
These profiles were decided on both for output and street reliability. Part of the requirements of a reliable hydraulic roller valve train is to use lifters that promote reliability. As far as reliable rollers for a performance setup Chris’s experience mirror’s mine. Unless you know what you are buying there is a very good chance you may end up with a set of lifters that just won’t take the loads seen in a 7000 rpm motor lifting the valves up to near 0.700. Chris’s choice here was to use the Morel lifters and that, from my own experience, was a choice I had no trouble going with.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David, have you considered also testing a well-thought out alternative cam targeted to the same goals, perhaps only a different lobe design with similar valve events and lifts but say concave Vs. convex flanks?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

MadBill wrote:David, have you considered also testing a well-thought out alternative cam targeted to the same goals, perhaps only a different lobe design with similar valve events and lifts but say concave Vs. convex flanks?
Bill,
The principle reason I spent so much time researching cam events for optimal results was so that I could be at or reasonably near the bulls eye first time. These roller cams cost big bucks these days. This is a gaol that is being sought by cam grinders who have more business than they can handle - two that come to mind are Jonesy and of course Chris Straub.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Have not abandoned this thread. The reality is that I have got into it deeper since Chris shipped the cam.

I expected this build to go as hitch free as all the other DSS builds I have done but not so in this case. This through no fault of DSS, is what has happened. some how I forgot to ask fot the piston to deck cleaance to be set to 0.010 out of the block. the normal deal is 0.020 in the hole. Of course I find this as I am taking photos of the cam install and the VP clearances. What this now means is that I have to get some custom head gaskets an strp the TFS TW- R heads and machine the chambers from 64 to 57 to get the CR to that required to go with the cam Chris cut for me.
Getting that CR to cam spec is quite critical toward making the torque/cube target.
DV
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Cometic has shelf gaskets all the way down to .027 thick.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

David Vizard wrote:Have not abandoned this thread. The reality is that I have got into it deeper since Chris shipped the cam.

I expected this build to go as hitch free as all the other DSS builds I have done but not so in this case. This through no fault of DSS, is what has happened. some how I forgot to ask fot the piston to deck cleaance to be set to 0.010 out of the block. the normal deal is 0.020 in the hole. Of course I find this as I am taking photos of the cam install and the VP clearances. What this now means is that I have to get some custom head gaskets an strp the TFS TW- R heads and machine the chambers from 64 to 57 to get the CR to that required to go with the cam Chris cut for me.
Getting that CR to cam spec is quite critical toward making the torque/cube target.
DV
What compression are you aiming for? Interesting on the cam duration specs at .050 sounds about like my cam at 242/249 but which the LCA is 112.
That will be a lumpy sounding cam on 105! My cranking compression is in the 195/200 range with 10.3 compression.
clevo
Pro
Pro

Post by clevo »

Did this build ever get completed ?
Downunder
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

clevo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 am Did this build ever get completed ?
Ditto.
68fastback

Post by 68fastback »

Did this build ever get finished and dyno'd?

Also, any news about the Ford Windsor book David is putting together?