DSS 427 SB Ford build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: DSS 427 SB Ford build

Post by 427dart »

Torq Link comment....they should have built one for the 351W. Why this poor engine is left in the dark as far as available intake manifolds is beyond me!
But I found the one I was looking for thank goodness for the PME!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

pdq67 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
pdq67 wrote:Please my usual 2 cents..

When did Howards end up with Harold's grinds if they did. And how did they? I really miss UDHarld is why I ask.

Another point, somebody mentioned the old "Torque-Link" intake, how can it be modified to compare/perform like a good dual plane like the old 300-36 and RPM? I ask because I like it's longer runners IF it can be made to operate over a much broader rpm range.

pdq67
Howard's bought ALL the designs, programs and everything else that "Custom Camshaft Company" had, when Harold started to get sick.
Thanks Walter,

I didn't know Howards bought everything.

Anybody want to comment about the old Torque-Link intake?

pdq67
From the results I have seen ... if you don't have a Small Block Chevy of 355 cubic inches with 11/1 compression ratio and need the extra torque between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM ... don't use it.
The power is worse everywhere else.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

In regards to the torklink manifold. There was a well known competitor in the early years of engine masters(2,500 - 6,500 rpm) that did extensive mods/testing with that manifold. IIRC, they told the magazine(whatever that's worth to you) doing the article on the build(hotrod?) that the design made more torque than any other manifold tested very early on in the powerband. But was eventually tossed aside when they realized it penalized them far too heavily in the upper ranges to hurt the total points too much.

Incidentally, that's the concensus I had heard and read about prior to seeing that article. Good for towtrucks.. bad for mid-range and top-end horsepower.
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

Kinda like the SP/2P Edelbrock form the 70's during the gas crunch, I don,t miss those days at all!
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Well it LOOKED like a great manifold too bad it didn't work out. I read where it was designed for short track racing to get off the corners better.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

427dart wrote:Well it LOOKED like a great manifold too bad it didn't work out. I read where it was designed for short track racing to get off the corners better.
It does look like a bitchin' intake. Runners too big?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

cstraub wrote:..This would be a fun project....
As long as DV gets the final say, rather than using 'consensus' specs. As many know, a camel is a horse designed by committee... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

MadBill wrote:
cstraub wrote:..This would be a fun project....
As long as DV gets the final say, rather than using 'consensus' specs. As many know, a camel is a horse designed by committee... #-o
Believe me Bill I will have the final say but that does not mean it won't be swayed by what my potential readers want to see. As for cams I am leaning heavily toward old Jonesey but the book's not closed on that yet.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Breezebomb

Post by Breezebomb »

What about Cam Motion. Or Racer Brown? Hell lid love to see some of either of them tested.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Breezebomb wrote:What about Cam Motion. Or Racer Brown? Hell lid love to see some of either of them tested.
I ran a Racer Brown cam many years ago. It was a used flat tappet grind the was supposedly speced by Racer himself (he passed away many years ago now).

It was a street/strip deal and ran like a champ in my 350 SBC.
SV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

cstraub wrote:DV,
I will call you. We lost our server over the weekend so I'm a bit blind right now. Backup server is operational but we are behind from yesterday.

Godd stuff - I will be in most all the afternoon flow testing so make an allowance for me to hear the phone and get to it!!
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

OK guys here we go!
Chris Straub and I are in the throws of concocting a cam spec for the TFS 'R' headed DSS 427 build I am doing for my SB Ford book.
should have some details on this by this evening.

Watch this space!!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Well at this point Chris and I have gone back and forth on a cam for this 427 and guess what - we have differences of opinions here.

Chris wants to see that super big top end number and be at one with whatever low speed torque this build may make. And who can blame him with 427 cubes on hand the low speed torque is unlikely to be much other than good.

But from my point of view I am trying to see the best low speed torque consistent with a little over 600 hp. After all this is a street build and the 2000 to 4000 rpm range will be used much more. Chris's response to this is 'but yes my spec will be faster on the strip' - well no argument from me on that point except I am only on the strip 0.1% of the time at the most.

So here's the deal - this engine is for the readers of my book - that's guys like you lot out there. which way should we go favor the street or the strip. the only difference here will be that Chris's cam has about 5 degrees more exhaust duration for that extra top end haul. And no this is a choice of one or the other. tis cam has to be the right one first time as there is EFI testing to do on this engine and belive it or not dyno time cost 500 a day and I am not excatly made of dough!!
DV
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

David, as I've gotten older, I'm of the opinion that a true street "hot rod" still needs to be somewhere around 12 inches of manifold vacuum regardless of output and rpm. Below that and I just want out of the damn car after cruising for an hour. I also realize that's an opinion that may not be so popular around here.

Any estimates of where you may be sitting in that regard? I'm guessing a larger exhaust split will drop your vacuum even further.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

RevTheory wrote:David, as I've gotten older, I'm of the opinion that a true street "hot rod" still needs to be somewhere around 12 inches of manifold vacuum regardless of output and rpm. Below that and I just want out of the damn car after cruising for an hour. I also realize that's an opinion that may not be so popular around here.

Any estimates of where you may be sitting in that regard? I'm guessing a larger exhaust split will drop your vacuum even further.
ABOUT 12 INCHES - I GUESS WE ARE BOTH AGING GRACEFULLY!
DV