Conical valve springs.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rdkonkel
Conical valve springs.

Post by rdkonkel »

I read the articles from comp cams, so are these the only way to go or what?
Running dirt track at 7,000 rpm dart iron heads (165 cc intake, stock replacement style head)
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Re: Conical valve springs.

Post by Racerrick »

I wouldn't use Comp springs. Use PAC or PSI springs way better support from an actual manufacture of springs unlike Comp. Some builder do like Nextek which supposedly wound by Associated Spring.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Racerrick wrote:I wouldn't use Comp springs. Use PAC or PSI springs way better support from an actual manufacture of springs unlike Comp. Some builder do like Nextek which supposedly wound by Associated Spring.
Following and NOT what I wanted to hear after installing them on my heads,lol.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Fwiw, there are "beehive" springs and then there are "conical" springs.

Which ones do you want to know about?

pdq67
rdkonkel

Post by rdkonkel »

Conical.
rdkonkel

Post by rdkonkel »

Was looking for a kit with all the parts to fit the dart iron eagle 165 heads without machining.
I found some that look like they go on upside down but seems like that would negate the benefits of the conical spring. Has 1-1/4" pbm 600 lift springs in it now. Motor is in car.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

back in the day someone sold a conical type spring but you used it with the small end down so you did not have to cut the head spring pockets.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I will be replacing my Comp # 26918 beehives for conical springs. From what I can see, the conical springs provide a slightly higher rate in the same dimension package, with no downside.

David Vizard did some comprehensive comparison testing, comparing beehive springs to conventional parallel springs, with very positive results for the beehives.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

pamotorman wrote:back in the day someone sold a conical type spring but you used it with the small end down so you did not have to cut the head spring pockets.
That was Comp Cams, I know guys that ran them upside down so they could use their stock retainer for reduced weight and not have to but lightweight retainers.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Geoff2 wrote:I will be replacing my Comp # 26918 beehives for conical springs. From what I can see, the conical springs provide a slightly higher rate in the same dimension package, with no downside.

David Vizard did some comprehensive comparison testing, comparing beehive springs to conventional parallel springs, with very positive results for the beehives.
From what I have been told me the Beehive should be set near coil bind for the best results...That scares me.

Is a higher spring rate a good thing?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

rdkonkel wrote:I read the articles from comp cams, so are these the only way to go or what?
Running dirt track at 7,000 rpm dart iron heads (165 cc intake, stock replacement style head)

The best spring I have found that works well with those heads is the ISKY 295-D.
They use a 1.775 installed height and when used with a comp 10 deg retainer they offer a very reliable and consistent spring package lasting for a long time.
Those spring I use in limited sprint engines that run up to 7200 all day and with many engines in service for several seasons of use to date some have over 10,000 laps on them and still test with in 5 lbs of original pressures between freshen up's
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

PAC has a lot of great circle track valve springs. I can get you what you need at a great price. Just message me with all your specs and I will give you a quote and any info that you need. Thanks
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

GARY C wrote:
pamotorman wrote:back in the day someone sold a conical type spring but you used it with the small end down so you did not have to cut the head spring pockets.
That was Comp Cams, I know guys that ran them upside down so they could use their stock retainer for reduced weight and not have to but lightweight retainers.
Actually Isky had a conical spring for Chevies for the 1.25" spring pockets. I'm an old guy and remember reading real paper printed catalogs.....back in the "olden days" :D
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Anyone got a good explanation of how the performance of a conical spring differs from that of a beehive? I asked Comp and got bafflegab. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Realy like my beehive springs raised my RPM close to 1800 RPM. Dual springs steel retainer to beehive with lucky find titanium retainers. Must have saved about half the weight of the dual springs. Weight off the valve side usually a good thing. From what I was told at least with the big end against the head can keep the spring centered on the valve stem better through is travel. They have much less tendency to go into harmonics, have seen regular springs go nuts at idle in tests then again at higher RPM. Beehive / conical are also variable rate. Eases the opening and closing of the valve.