Timing light inductive delay?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Re: Timing light inductive delay?

Post by Circlotron »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 am Does anyone know of a timing light that can be delayed up to 720 degrees?
720 deg delay would only be usable if the motor speed was dead steady. The rpm can change a lot in two complete rotations and cause the flash to be in the wrong place because it would figure the delay based on what the length of time the previous 720deg was. If the next 720 deg is different then so will the flash position. That said, it would indeed be possible to build one. I don’t expect one exists though.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Use more than one LED to do the flashing in sync, so that 8000 is only say actually one flash. for each of 8 led circuits operating only 1000 times, or some variation to this theme. In the last few years I have become a big fan of LEDs that are they are improving all the time, in their evolutionary cycle and should get brighter and faster and longer lasting, with less and less energy needed.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I am thinking of building this.

https://www.edn.com/design/other/431334 ... d-duration

The component list does not spec the current on the components so I am trying to figure out how to build it so that it can run somewhere between 20 and 100 LEDs. I don't know how many I will need yet.

I want to video an intake duct with a window on the side.

I am also looking for ideas for some kind of very small indicators to show flow direction and maybe velocity like a weather vane.

The engine is a single cylinder ROTAX 650 equipped with a TFX data system.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:09 pm...
I am also looking for ideas for some kind of very small indicators to show flow direction and maybe velocity like a weather vane...
How about a confetti dispenser* and high speed video? *I assume it's combustible.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

MadBill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:09 pm...
I am also looking for ideas for some kind of very small indicators to show flow direction and maybe velocity like a weather vane...
How about a confetti dispenser* and high speed video? *I assume it's combustible.
The high speed video pixels/speed/price balance isn't quite up to the task yet.
That is why I am going strobe.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars