A new BBC Gen 7 electronic EFI BBC project

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: A new BBC Gen 7 electronic EFI BBC project

Post by FC-Pilot »

Newold1 wrote:In-Tech, my Dominator Holley ECM has very nice individual cylinder fuel trim and that was what I spent way to much time on the dyno trying to even out the cylinders when I finally realized fuel trim would not work as when I trimmed fuel in the cylinders where the throttles were robbing charge from the other in body throttle it would not hold or be controllable at any higher rpm point and I still ended up with such different cylinder trims I knew at that point that something else was going on!

I am just about finished with the Kinsler modified system and I will post some pictures of that in a few days for interested Speedtalk contributors.

I am using a different timing cover than the one you posted that is for the 58X reluctor as the one I used is for a 24X smaller diameter reluctor. I will post a picture of that cover, cam sensor and reluctor as well as a source for them for you.

Bill, thanks for a good description of what I was suffering from "CHARGE ROBBING"! This is something all builders and fabricators should take care to identify this possible issue developing based on the engines firing order and the ITB fabrication with respect to throttle entrance adjacency. It does really affect things and it can be hard sometimes to identify just based on power and torque results. The individual EGT's and A/F meausrements on the dyno wer the only way I was able to start to see and identify "What's wrong with my damn beautiful engine"!!

I am sizing the length of the new system and it will be a 14.5" long intake tract, end bell to valve.
Sometimes it sucks posting our failures and struggles, but since I am planning on doing something similar I really appreciate the open sharing of info. Mine will be a basic BBC and I already have a Kinsler stack injection setup with EFI injectors so your info is valuable to me. I also appreciate the info regarding the Holley system as well as the TC and crank and cam sensor. All info is appreciated.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I know it’s old, but any updates?

Paul
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Hi Paul

I shelved that project last year because I got so busy (not complaining) with other work. "The cobbler's kids have no shoes!"

I got as far as completely reworking the Kinsler injection for EFI and all the Idle air control, MAP and vacuum system and pretty much all the wiring including a harness for the entire engine and Holley Dominator, but I stopped there. I will pull it out from underneath the covers and shoot some updated pics. I am so close to dyno time that I am going to block out some time and get it done here in the next two months. I have a friend who want's to buy it and put it in his 28 foot go fast offshore so I need to get it ready because he is getting ready to finish his boat before May.

How is your project doing? If you need any help or suggestions, let me know. Thanks for jogging my "get going button"! :)
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

My personal projects have been put on hold as well. Between full time work and starting flight school for a career change I have not had time or funds for them, so I understand your dilemma. I am a good year away from picking my projects back up as the wife and kid comes first, then I can get back to playing with nuts and bolts once I am getting paid to fly instead of paying to fly. Thank you very much for offering to help out, that is very generous. I look forward to seeing and hearing about your progress as I am sure it will help me out.

Paul
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Thanks Paul

Glad to hear you are piloting your own ship!

Best of luck on starting a new career and have fun doing it!

I'll keep tinkering with the nuts and bolts and you keep flying high!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

???
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

It’s fun having this post brought back up. This looks suspiciously like the new 632 that Chevy put together.

Paul