Dodge 4.7 V8 durability

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-612937456

Re: Dodge 4.7 V8 durability

Post by user-612937456 »

I've also seen a few come in from the quick lube topped off the coolant have you ever seen a heater core plugged up with gell not to mention partially plug radiator with the same gell. You can't mixx the coolants. Arrogant and retarded of the Chrysler Corporation and I work For Dodge dealerships almost 20 years also
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

There are a lot of engines that develop a bad reputation, simply because they do not tolerate overheating.
There are engines that are basically junk if overheated, and some that survive it ok.

I don't think this chrysler engine is good or bad at surviving overheating, rather it's average.
MT Jeff
Pro
Pro

Post by MT Jeff »

modok wrote:There are a lot of engines that develop a bad reputation, simply because they do not tolerate overheating.
There are engines that are basically junk if overheated, and some that survive it ok.

I don't think this chrysler engine is good or bad at surviving overheating, rather it's average.
Exactly, and most drivers never check anything. We see it all the time. Let alone do maintenance like change the coolant. Unless a light comes on.

Had a Camry come in yesterday that the belt came off. Drove it till it shut off. The radiator neck melted. Throw that one away!
Why is the least trained, lowest paid tech working on the most important part of your car, THE BRAKES ! I know I work next to him.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I read a few years ago that a major contributor of under-hood fires is severe engine overheating and or an oil fires when a rod goes through the block.. Doing electrical work at an auto dismantler I asked what they are gonna do with all these Toyota engine they have on shelves...You know , Toyota engines outlast the car body.....They told me engines sell briskly to replace engines dmaaged because no one checks the oil or coolant and the engine is run till it seizes...
I suppose the 4.7 is ok if maintained properly....
As a comparison, are the LS Chevy truck engines as "delicate" when overheated?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Post by MileHighMan »

Truckedup wrote:I read a few years ago that a major contributor of under-hood fires is severe engine overheating and or an oil fires when a rod goes through the block.. Doing electrical work at an auto dismantler I asked what they are gonna do with all these Toyota engine they have on shelves...You know , Toyota engines outlast the car body.....They told me engines sell briskly to replace engines dmaaged because no one checks the oil or coolant and the engine is run till it seizes...
I suppose the 4.7 is ok if maintained properly....
As a comparison, are the LS Chevy truck engines as "delicate" when overheated?

FWIW,,,I have a customer that just plain abuses his 450k mile 6.0 LS to death and its still going!!!....He put 21k miles on his last oil change,,, seems to overheat it at lease twice a year for various coolant leaks,,and doesn't check fluid levels or anything till it creates a problem.....He hasn't burned it down yet but I'm sure the days are numbered....Dan.