Vizard 427 SBF Rear Main Seal Dilemma

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Vizard 427 SBF Rear Main Seal Dilemma

Post by David Vizard »

piston guy wrote:Similar to the one Jon Kaase sells. It has a split in it .
Jon Kasse seals are Greg Seals.

And yes - though the seal comes as a complete circle it is installed by cutting with a razor shart knife at a specific point in the circumference and then threaded into the block so it finishes up as shown in the above photo.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Guys,
Support is waning - if things don't improve I will be short of a set of super seals!!!!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Looks like this deal crashed & burned so I ordered my $67 Signal seal directly from Cometic yesterday. :(
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

turdwilly wrote:Looks like this deal crashed & burned so I ordered my $67 Signal seal directly from Cometic yesterday. :(
I wouldn't frown, you'll be just fine with the Signal!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Warp Speed wrote:
turdwilly wrote:Looks like this deal crashed & burned so I ordered my $67 Signal seal directly from Cometic yesterday. :(
My frown was directed not at the seal quality but at that $67 :shock:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

turdwilly wrote:
Warp Speed wrote:
My frown was directed not at the seal quality but at that $67 :shock:
Good point! Lol
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

OK guy, we did not get the support required to get the 351 SBF seals done so that's on the back burner until a future date. Still Terry Walters does have a new shipment of SB and BB Chevy seals arrived in. Price was not as good as hoped because of small order shipping and customs so expect the seals to be a few bucks more than the signal equivalent.

Thanks to those who supported this effort to get the 351 seals into production.

it will happen it's now just a question of when.
DV
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

This $67 Signal seal Cometic sent me is pretty trick.... :evil: :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

As a follow up, Sam at Cometic is sending another seal out to me today.
clevo
Pro
Pro

Post by clevo »

David,
Does GST seals make the rear 1pc seal for DART Iron Eagle FORD block yet? Can you run these low friction seals without a vac pump for street use?
Downunder
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

clevo wrote:David,
Does GST seals make the rear 1pc seal for DART Iron Eagle FORD block yet? Can you run these low friction seals without a vac pump for street use?
Yes and yes.

DV
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Bringing this back from the dead as after receiving my replacement seal from Cometic, ruining it during installation, ordering another one, installing it with lube since I didn't know it is designed to be installed dry, calling Cometic & receiving their assurance it would be fine, it not being fine & oiling down the dyno cell, ordering another one at $80 & it arriving defective again (2 out of 4), I'm giving up on Cometic.

Would like some recommendations as to the best (non-Cometic) rear main seal for a SBF. Fel-Pro Polytetrafluoroethylene rubber? Or their fluoroelastomer?

$1000 dual-disc clutch going behind this thing & I don't want any oil getting to it.
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

David, we have had 100% success with the GST seals that we had made for the 460. the Ford/Fel-Pro seals that are available are useless. They almost all leak. The story we heard was that the dies for them were sent to Mexico and somehow ended up ruined. and the replacement dies are sized wrong. The best NOS seal was burnt red color and if they can be found they work great. But good luck.
I have just recently figured out how to install the one cut seals in an assembled engine. I had to do one yesterday in an FE we built that leaked. So we pulled the rear main cap and snaked it in there. We bought them from Roush at $100.... OUCH. But I'd pay twice that to not have to fix one that failed.
I didn't read the whole thread, but was yours one or 2 piece? ..... Kaase
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

GEEZ, and to think I still have the, "long, skinny plastic", metal shim holder/driver and maybe a few metal shims to shim leaking rear main rope seals!

The metal shims are like the pieces of long thin springy metal that is/was used in rubber windshield wiper blades.

pdq67