General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: anti-reversion plate

Post by RevTheory »

Carnut1 wrote:
RevTheory wrote:I've had Aero-Chambers on three different vehicles and I can tell you from personal experience that an h-pipe makes a big difference in sound.
An H or X pipe will give a 3db sound reduction which is .5 sound energy. It also makes the engine see 2 mufflers for each pulse which reduces pumping loss. I think it is a win - win. Just more work to plumb.
10-4. Mine sounded great but I kept blowing out the sides of the termination boxes. I finally had enough of that crap so I had them cut out which removed the h-pipe and they went loud as hell.

That was my first experience in sound with an h-pipe and it was profound with those mufflers. I didn't measure db but it went from "dude, that truck sounds awesome" to "f*ck, that's loud". Very scientific, lol
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

RevTheory wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:
RevTheory wrote:I've had Aero-Chambers on three different vehicles and I can tell you from personal experience that an h-pipe makes a big difference in sound.
An H or X pipe will give a 3db sound reduction which is .5 sound energy. It also makes the engine see 2 mufflers for each pulse which reduces pumping loss. I think it is a win - win. Just more work to plumb.
10-4. Mine sounded great but I kept blowing out the sides of the termination boxes. I finally had enough of that crap so I had them cut out which removed the h-pipe and they went loud as hell.

That was my first experience in sound with an h-pipe and it was profound with those mufflers. I didn't measure db but it went from "dude, that truck sounds awesome" to "f*ck, that's loud". Very scientific, lol
So you were running two termination boxes with an H between them? I really like that set up but never built one.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Carnut1 wrote:So you were running two termination boxes with an H between them? I really like that set up but never built one.
I was.

It looks like poop but it sure was effective. I now know that you need to build the boxes stout enough to resist an IED or they'll blow apart. There's far more exhaust energy than I thought.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

RevTheory wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:So you were running two termination boxes with an H between them? I really like that set up but never built one.
I was.

It looks like poop but it sure was effective. I now know that you need to build the boxes stout enough to resist an IED or they'll blow apart. There's far more exhaust energy than I thought.
Interesting design. What was the rest of the combo?
631-816-4911
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Those pics were snapped with a "backyard" run-of-the-mill, ported but still crappy, smog-headed 350. Performer RPM, Comp S/F 270 Magnum, Hooker headers... you know the drill. It was a really good combo for what it was.

I think the boxes blew a side off maybe twice with that engine but, once the weak spots were welded up, they held up well. It wasn't until I used that same exhaust on a 383 that dynoed at 486 hp/482 ft.lbs that they blew apart faster than I could have them welded back up.

And once those boxes and the h-pipe were removed, those Aero-Chambers got LOUD.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hi carnut and rev,

can you explain to me if you dont mind about the termination box,
i have seen pictures before and there is a brief description in one of dv books,
i have a basic understanding about pressure and expansion waves in the exhaust tract,
what distance does the box need to be from cylinder head exhaust port,
is the box an area for the waves to do a u-turn and head back towards exhaust valve,
balance tube in boxes??
any information appriciated
i have read alot of guys saying good hp gains from termination boxes

thanks guys
steve cowan
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

You run the termination box's at the tuned length of the collector - done right it's close to running open pipes with tuned collectors.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Lots of exhaust experts on here better than myself but I will give it a shot. I like to think of a termination box as a one way exhaust valve. Not a perfect valve but it will help with reducing reversion which is good in any application that requires a wide rpm band with an overlap that will help high rpm breathing. I like termination boxes that have a large internal volume and can have the H pipe connected between both boxes. I would like to see a collector extension enter the termination box and extend into the box. This reduces the flow back into the collector extension. This makes the engine "think" it has just headers and collector extensions due to the pressure differential inside the termination box. The H pipe reduces flow resistance because the exhaust pulse sees two mufflers. Termination boxes will change carb jetting and tuning. If done correctly it will quiet the system and will have low flow resistance. It will be heavy and a pain to plumb. I would love to see some exhaust experts show some dyno numbers with and without termination boxes. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Add a set of Dyno Max VT mufflers and that's as good as a full Exh system can get!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The Termination box set up came from David Vizard. There is a description in his s/b Chev book, SA books SA#57
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A number of sources, e.g: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exhaus ... your-ride/ and this one by David Vizard: http://www.chevydiy.com/chevy-small-blo ... t-systems/ recommend placing the H pipe ahead of the boxes.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hi guys,

thanks for the replies and links,i have all vizard books and have read them a couple times each
i was interested in hearing from other people here who have used x and h pipes and termination boxes and you delivered
i am starting to ''get it'' as far as the complete exhaust has such a huge influence on pulling intake charge,hp and tq,tuneability etc and not just dumping exhaust gas
the biggest hassel i see is having enough room under floorpan to fit a box and still have a bit of ground clearance,when i made my twin 3 inch system i kept it tight to the floor pan,maybe if i can buy a empty truck muffler in a oval shape might work
i do not have a x or h pipe on my system and i posted here some time ago about it,
me thinks it would be fun to test over time -no x or h pipe
fit either x or h pipe and test
make and test termination box and test performance
probably splitting hairs here but dont know if dont try

again thanks everyones input always plenty to learn here

steve c
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

A Pontiac guru drag raced a very consistent 4000 lb waggon with a 455; he tested H & X pipes. With H pipe it ran 12.46 & with an X pipe it ran 12.33.

He also tested the back pressure of both, & the X pipe had less back pressure within his test range of 1700 to 6200 rpm